Are Anyone Else's Dysautonomic Symptoms Worse When Hungry?

julieph85

yeah same actually and the weird thing is that carbs are supposed to reduce periperhal resistance and orthostatic blood pressure but they work a treat for me (other than my waistline).

Some see drastic responses to salt. I tend to actually feel worse.

Rama, I think it's cause we may have the autoimmune type of POTS. I don't believe I am hypovolemic even though i'm thirsty all the time and have narrow pulse pressure in the mornings. My symptoms started in the third trimester of my pregnancy when your blood volume is quadruple that of a normal persons. There is no way I was hypovolemic and I had all the same symptoms I do now.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely! It's one of my "it doesn't make me feel better, but ignoring it makes me feel worse" items. If I don't eat fairly regularly (and, before dysautonomia, I was always a grazer, 4 meals a day kind of person), I get really badly off, *especially* if I'm standing or walking around. These days I carry a granola bar or two and a ziploc bag of goldfish any time I'm away from home. The goldfish thing is funny; they kill the nausea like nobody's business, and they're pretty much the most effective food for when I'm having bad symptoms.

My neuro said his best guess was that it is because when your blood sugar starts to drop your body secrets excess catecholamines to try to raise your blood sugar/ resistance and keep you from fainting. That is why I feel extra light headed, jittery. It makes sense if you think that part of this disease is increased sensitivity to catecholamines. I think we are just extra sensitive to the normal amount of catecholamines are body secretes to combat the drop in blood sugar. Same reason why some of us feel aweful AFTER eating as well (such as myself). I have litteraly the same reaction to eating as I do when i'm hungry- jittery, increased heart rate, light headed. It it likely due to a hyperandrenergic response by my body to try to LOWER the blood sugar. This happens in a normal person as well, they just don't feel it. That is why I think the primary problem for people with hyper POTS is increased sensitivity to catecholamines.

• 1 year later...

Me too to all of this. When I'm hungry I have the occipital pressure, very very jittery, light-headed, trembling thing. Not like I used to have in the old 'normal' days but far far worse. Then, when I eat, I feel worse for a bit, then after, I can still be jittery too. My whole day is spent trying to eat enough at the right time to calm the jitters, but haven't found a balance yet.

WOW! I have had something similar to this for ever! Not all the time, it just comes and goes. I will sometimes wake up in the middle of then night or very early morning (5ish) and I have always had trouble describing it. I find that I often have trouble describing many of my symptoms. Does anyone else have that trouble?

Anyway, it's like I feel super hungry but also not. Almost a sick feeling. I have woken my husband up many times to get me a banana because I feel I can't even sit up in the bed. But often I can't even eat the whole thing because I feel so sick. When that happens I will often feel that way the whole day. A feeling like I need to eat but can't. I do also have times where I feel so bloated when I eat or drink the smallest amounts of things and if I over eat it's almost painful and I feel like I can't breath well. I have checked my blood sugar before and never had any major lows. I think 70 might be the lowest I have seen. Also never had any high or low blood sugars when the docs have checked it. I do remember though, when I was pregnant with one of my boys, when I had the glucose test my sugar was no where near as high as they expected it be after that nasty stuff they make you drink. That was years ago.