For The Women Here, Did Your Pots Get Worse With Perimenopause?

IDreamInColor

I've had pots symptoms since I was a teenager, but they were manageable and never diagnosed. At the age of 40 I got horrendously sick for 8 months but no diagnosis here either. And now I'm 45 and the worst I've ever been and was just diagnosed with dysautonomia this past September. I'm wondering if perimenopause has anything to do with causing dysautonomia to really grab hold.

I think it can for some people. It seems there are many possible triggers. For me, pregnancy was what made POTS very bad. I seem to improve each year since then. I believe I am starting perimenopause now, however so far, no change in POTS. But the fact that you are worse right now suggests maybe this will be a passing thing that will improve after menopause. I have heard that for many women POTS improves after menopause. It's frustrating however that there are so many unknowns...

One of my relatives has EDS3. I don't know if she had problems in her teens, but from age 20 until she was perimenopausal, she had no POTS symptoms at all. During the perimenopause, she suddenly got POTS symptoms. I could be uncharitable and say her symptoms probably weren't as bad as most people's on here but, of course, if you aren't used to it and haven't adapted your life to accommodate POTS, then it is a shock to suddenly feel ill and have difficulties holding down a job.

The good news for her was that after about 2 or 3 years, her symptoms disappeared and she was fine again.

My POTS symptoms suddenly got worse at puberty and I have seen no improvement over time. I am expecting things to deteriorate during the peri-menopause because hormones look like a big trigger and I recall quite a few people on here saying that their symptoms got noticeably worse at that time.

I am hopeful that my symptoms will subside after the menopause (I suspect the odds are about 50:50 given anecdotal evidence). My doctor thinks I am crazy talking about the menopause when I am in my 30s, but this hope is one of the things that keeps me going.

My husband is the one who noticed this, believe it or not. My bad symptoms began three years before menopause. But like some others, I had dysautonomia symptoms my whole life but they were intermittent and didn't affect my quality of life until recently. I think hormones are strong little buggers and I didn't realize it until now. I am getting better slowly. Every day I cross my fingers.