How To Stop Adrenaline Surges

icesktr189

I have just developed in the last four months adrenaline surges, really intense. In fact it is affecting me so much that my doctor has no clue what to do in this regard. I'm getting only four hours of sleep a night, I have so much energy I don't know what to do with it. I keep losing weight, I am usually a very rational person and have been making very irrational decisions. My sexual drive has gone from nothing, to driving my husband crazy. {at first he thought it was great, now after four months he's afraid to come home} What I have found to help is that I exercise for 15 minutes doing a dance routine I have learned from my dance classes. I get my heart rate going and then I sit down and in ten minutes my adrenaline begins to lower by itself. It's not enough to get me to sleep so I take a small dose of xanax to help me sleep. I now exercise twice a day and I finally am getting seven hours of sleep. I am trying to get into John Hopkins to see if they can help me discover what on earth has changed with my pots and if there is anything they can do for me.

Maggie

• 1 year later...

I've been dealing with this same issue. I was instructed by my cardiologist not the take Midodrine four hours before bed, so by the time I am in bed, I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin. My primary doc doesn't understand my condition. He has put me on several different prescription sleep meds, but none of them were right for me, so I've had to figure out the sleep problem on my own. After a lot of research and trial and error, I think I have finally found a solution that works for me. About an hour before bed (just when the Midodrine is really wearing off, I drink a cup of hot Lipton tea (not decaffeinated) and then I take one otc sleep aid (25mg Diphenhadramine), which I believe is the same as Benadryl. The tea keeps my blood pressure from dropping and my heartrate from increasing too much, then the sleep aid prevents the adrenaline rush. I like this combination because I feel like I am preventing the sleep problem rather than trying to fight it. It is a minimal amount of drug and it feels natural, like I'm able to fall asleep the way I used to before I was sick.

I guzzle water, splash my face with ice cold water and then go into the deepest meditation that I can manage. **** Warning!!! Weird POTs post**** Also, and I know this is strange - I sometimes just try and use the bathroom. For some reason if I have to pee/BM and I don't go right away i get surges. I'm in the medical field and used to holding which is a bad habit. But sometimes remembering to pee helps. Good luck

I guzzle water, splash my face with ice cold water and then go into the deepest meditation that I can manage. **** Warning!!! Weird POTs post**** Also, and I know this is strange - I sometimes just try and use the bathroom. For some reason if I have to pee/BM and I don't go right away i get surges. I'm in the medical field and used to holding which is a bad habit. But sometimes remembering to pee helps. Good luck

Hmmm, maybe this is part of the reason we often feel so bad in the morning.