Antibiotics Caused Severe Diarrhea - Hard To Replinish Fluids - Tips?

iheartcats

I was on a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection, but it literally made me go to the bathroom, in tears, 8-12 times a day for the last 3 days.

I've been drinking G2, Ginger Ale and Water but still have a throbbing headache. My PCP finally stopped the antibiotic and had me take Imodium today as it just has to stop...I can't stand to lose any more fluids. We're waiting on a lab result, but at this point I couldn't go on losing fluids.

He said it'll take a while to get my fluids balanced, but to keep hydrating. Any tips to what else I can use? Should I try Pedialyte?

I'm very upset as I fly this weekend for a long-planned family event so I have to improve. Horrible timing.

Thanks for any help!

This can happen when the bacteria balance gets out of balance because of the antibiotics. Not only does it kill the bad, but it kills the good too. The most important thing is to get is the good bacteria back in there. If the diarria doesn't stop soon - it can be deadly. I know what I'm talking about - it happened to me and I had to do chemo because of it. It caused ulcerative colitis in me. The best thing is to take massive amounts of probiotics. Get a good pill form - the one I like best is by NOW called Probiotic 10. It's pricey, but works better than any others that I've tried. Also, go buy Kefir and drink allot of it. It taste like a milk shake - really good. Keep a watch - if it doesn't slow down - get into a GI doctor on an emergency basis. Mine was so bad that the doctor said that most people would have already died from it. But, I'm a trooper - and survived the ordeal. Hope you can get on top of this soon and feel better fast.

Issie

I've picked up a Probiotic - so I guess I'll use it. I'll have to look for 10, I didn't see that.

Fortunately...the Imodium has stopped and I'm *hoping* halting the antibiotic will help. But it's scary. I'm calling my PCP all upset and I just don't think they get how bad it is with POTS.

If it kicks back in, I will look up a local GI Doc just in case. It was so bad I was crying last night. It's awful!

Your doctor may need to look into it a little more. I can't remember what it is(horrible memory!), but the diarrhea related to antibiotic therapy can be something that they have to give you IV antibiotic therapy for. It's something like a bad bacteria takes over and causes massive diarrhea. My sister-in-law had it once, and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days with IV fluids and antibiotics. If I were you, I'd ask a gi doctor.

I remember having C-diff while being on so long run of ATB awaiting sinus surgery that was postponed when ENT went on family cruise and then post op. So debilitating. I too had to crawl to get to kitchen. DH was on a business trip out of state. Thank God He gave me loving neighbor couple that brought lunch and dinner to me. I hated to eat as I knew the repurcussions, but knew that if anything absorbed at all it was better than nothing. With diarrhea we'd treat w/ BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) to try to get things to 'stay' so that your fluids would not be so lost.

First, be sure to get tested for c-diff.

And secondly, I understand exactly what you are going thru. I began having D last August, at first I thought it was a bug that would go away. After two weeks it wasn't going away, and to make a very long story short, I was finally diagnosed with something called "collagenous colitis", also known as "microscopic colitis."

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I spent all day in the bathroom for over 5 solid months expelling water (sorry, TMI). I was wasting away and felt completely hopeless, I was so sick.

I just want you to be aware of "collagenous colitis" in case your problem does not resolve itself. I'm hoping for you that it's nothing more than a bacterial imbalance caused by the antibiotics and should clear up.

I'm currently researching probiotics. I have been taking one called "sustenex" for over a year now. But there is one called "Nutraelle" that sounds beneficial that I am thinking about trying. Unfortunately it's costly, about $40 for a month supply.

Get well wishes for you hon, I know exactly how debilitating it is {{{{HUGS}}}}

Thank you everyone! I, too, hope it's just an issue from the antibiotics (if so, the worst should resolve in the next couple of days). They did have me take in a sample for C. Diff just in case. And I've halted the antibiotic (I was worried about this, but for severe diarrhea, there isn't much choice). I need to clear up the diarrhea and get back to form somewhat by Saturday.

I can't believe how fatigued I am feeling, way worse than usual. I am still drinking Gatorade and got down a little soup (they said I do have to eat...I realized I barely ate on Saturday or today and only minimally Sunday/Monday). I guess that's bad in and of itself. I just didn't feel like it and forgot.

The Imodium is still holding up. It does beat sitting in the bathroom all day. IDreaminColor: Five months? I don't know how you made it. That's terrible!

I'm sitting here with my Probiotic getting up the nerve to take one. It's funny, once you go through things you are afraid to add one more thing! The Pharmacist said he never sees any real issues trying them as they are normally in your stomach, anyway, so let's hope it goes OK!

I remember having C-diff while being on so long run of ATB awaiting sinus surgery that was postponed when ENT went on family cruise and then post op. So debilitating. I too had to crawl to get to kitchen. DH was on a business trip out of state. Thank God He gave me loving neighbor couple that brought lunch and dinner to me. I hated to eat as I knew the repurcussions, but knew that if anything absorbed at all it was better than nothing. With diarrhea we'd treat w/ BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) to try to get things to 'stay' so that your fluids would not be so lost.

They did tell me to eat light and mentioned these foods. I have bananas and I'll force myself to fix rice later. I think applesauce sounds edible so I'll try that, too. Even if things are finally calming down, I don't want to stir them back up until they settle. Thank you!

hiya,

when i get dehydrated quite badly i drink rehydration fluid, the type you can get in powder form and mix in with water. if you drink a large amount of water or sugary drinks etc quite quickly you can upset the balance of salts in the body. even 'sports' drinks that say they are rehydrating actually arent that good as they dont contain enough salts. the rehydration solution contains the ideal amount and balance of salts. doesnt taste nice but makes me feel loads better really quite fast. :)

not sure where you are in the world but here in the UK we have Dioralyte (example= http://www.amazon.co...dp/B001E48ORC) so i use that or the cheaper generic sachets i can sometimes find in the supermarket.

hope you feel better soon :).

They did tell me to eat light and mentioned these foods. I have bananas and I'll force myself to fix rice later. I think applesauce sounds edible so I'll try that, too. Even if things are finally calming down, I don't want to stir them back up until they settle. Thank you!

I posted on your other post to ask your doctor for Bentyl (I take 10-20 mg) to relax those cramps and spasms. It helped me through that, too as did the immodium. It makes me a little drowsy which does not hurt as your body is exhausted and you need rest. Another thing, when on antibiotic, always take yogurt to help keep the good bacteria in the gut (for future reference). Crackers are alright too if you're not a toast eater. Feel better. Gentle hugs.