Low Albumin Levels - Autoimmune Or Liver/kidney Issues?

iheartcats

I'm upset because my blood tests came back today and my Albumin is quite low. I've read through the site and Internet about this and things keep pointing to liver or kidney failure (which I don't think I have) or possibly an autoimmune issue (which I may have as I have elevated ANA on and off).

I've been very tired lately and barely able to push through work, and I have a busy few months ahead with work and holidays. So this is the worst possible news today.

Has anyone ever had low Albumin levels? What does it mean with POTS?

Thanks everyone. I'm very stressed now!

Hi, albumin and globulins work together has your IG/Ratio the test after alb/glob test on your CBC been off as well? You may want to have your total quantitative immunoglobulins checked. If you are feeling like you are fighting something off, feel like you have a fever, but don't register one or it is low and transient, it can be a sign of an immune defect like CVID. You can have autoimmune autonomic neuropathy associated with that condition.

Have you had you liver or kidneys checked..not that I want to worry you. I'm sure there's probably other things that can cause low levels of Albumin but my Dad has liver cirrhosis so that's the first thing i think of. He never drank or anything his was caused by a med that he had been on for Diabetes.

I haven't any idea of how it would relate to POTS, unfortunately.

Anyway I'm curious why the docs took the test and what they had to say about the low levels.

My Cardio wants me to have additional liver tests just in case, but my complete metabolic panel looks fine overall so she really doesn't think it's anything with the liver/kidneys. Let's hope not!

It could be from way too low protein (I don't like meat)...but I have to have additional blood tests, eat more protein, and see what happens. I'm a bit nervous, but hopefully it's just not enough protein?

Or I'm losing too much through my kidneys (which with the weird stuff POTS does that wouldn't shock me either). I'll reply here once I have my new results.

She did say it's not a good one to be low as it causes even MORE fatigue on top of what I'm having and could be why I'm struggling so much to get through my workday. :(