My Pupils Are Huge!!! Anyone Else?

I've had Anisocoria (pupils of unequal size) forever...discovered about 8-10 years ago. I only discovered how long I've had it by reviewing "red-eye" from old pictures...which makes it really easy to check your pupil size. You might want to check some pictures taken with flash to see if you've had this problem for some time or not...you may be surprised.

yes, it means you have a lot of sympathetic activity. When I was in the hospital they would continually use a pen light to check my pupils and they wouldn't constrict. They have gotten a lot better but mine are still always on the larger side. I really hate fluorescent lighting because of this and always wear sunglasses.

I've had the same red eye problem in photos for years. No one else seems to have them in these photos but me. I've become the 'devil woman' (song reference from the late 70s, Cliff Richards) with my family and friends. I also have large pupils, and they contract with bright light, but not as much as other peoples seem to.

• 1 month later...

I don't tend to have abnormally large pupils, but my partner has noticed from time to time that my pupils are different sizes (not always, just occasionally). It doesn't seem to strongly correlate with particularly bad visual issues (the blurriness that is one of my major dysautonomia issues), though.

I do have super long tracers and many floaters, which in my case are worse on serotinergic drugs (my Seroquel and Cymbalta). In my case they're benign and due to neurotransmitter upregulation (palinopsia is the technical diagnosis).

I always have large pupils. HUGE! People always comment on them. However, my left one is even larger than the right. Doctors always comment on that. It usually takes a bit of time for them to constrict as they should, but most of the time they do appropriately. Interestingly enough, all four of my kids have HUGE pupils as well... almost taking up their whole eyes.

I have always wondered what this means? It is autonomic or neurological?

I found an eye doctor here in town that has an opto map machine to take pictures of my eyes since I can't use the drops to dilate my eyes. He informed me that when they dilate a person's eyes they open to the number 9, my eyes without being dilated are open to the number 6 all the time. He says it's almost to they point where he can see most of my eye through this machine without even dilating my eyes. It was very interesting to know the exact number my eyes were actually dilated to.

Maggie

I'm pretty sure the autonomic nervous system controls pupil dilation and restriction.

yes. The autonomic nervous system is in part modulated by the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system, pupil dialation/constriction is effected by the parasympathetic neurotransmitter- acetycholine. The ANS is the big picture. The PNS and SNS are part of it.