Beyond Vivid Dreams On The Meds?

Lette

Here is a strange one and I hope this is the right place for it as it concerns medication so I didnt want to post in the chit chat forum, or at least I think it concerns medication!!...

I have been having, super, really and I mean really very detailed in depth dreams... I have always been a light sleeper but would always have had some dreams but never to the level of detail and intricacy that I am having them now on a nightly basis.

I noticed that once the side effects of all the meds I was on subsided I started having these really vivid, full colour, linear dreams like they would follow a story for what seemed way longer than a usual dream!! I have also managed to have a few lucid dreams where I can control whats going on in the dream, be any character I want and change my surroundings or superhuman talents at will.

Sometimes they can be so vivid that I question weather I am dreaming or awake! There are feelings, emotions, tastes, smell, I even feel vivid pain at times... its odd, its kinda cool and an awesome way to have an adventure for free but I have never had them like this before, I am wondering if any of you are the same?

Sometimes my dreams can be so active that I can jerk, mumble and moan while my sleaping depending on whats hapening in the dream, my husband has had to comfort me at times or tells me when I wake that I was jumpy or calling out in relation to the dream I was having, this can make me waaayyy more tired than usual when I wake as I have had a very active night!!

I have also had times where I wake from a dream to use the loo or whatever and then continue the same dream when I go back to sleep... that cant be right, can it?

I had to stop taking sleep meds because they made me have extra vivid, extra real nightmares that would make me wake up having panic attacks until I realized that what had happened was in my dreams. On a happier note, I have the kind of dreams you are describing when they anesthetize me using Demoral (so I request it when possible from the anesthesiologist). :P

I think its not unusual to have your dreams affected by your medications.

I always associated this with my midodrine (I have no idea if that's actually what causes it but I feel like it started around the same time). It's weird though, especially the more lucid dreams. I find myself having more problems waking up when I have these dreams too, it seems harder to wake up before the dream finishes. (I hope that makes sense.)

Before my diagnosis, the doctor tried me on a lot of different anti-depressants. The Paxil and Lexapro gave me really vivid dreams. I did not like that side-effect!