First Time Taking Florinef - Normal?

Serbo

Hi, I took florinef today the 1st time. 0.25, about 5 minutes after taking I got a big head rush, looked flushed and had tachycardia. I laid down for about 10 minutes and it eased off. I was then left with the residual feeling of burning or itchiness on my inner thighs and a little bit on my arm. Not itchy enough that I had to actully itch it but I was aware of it.

No head ache, or dizziness, BP normal at 114 over 70 standing 30 mins later, heart rate 80 standing. Feel Ok now about an hour after taking it.

Wondering whether this is normal to some extent or whether this is a mini allergic reaction? Unsure as to whether to try again tomorrow.

I am also on a steroid cream called daktacort for a rash on my foot, I have no problems with that although not sure wether to apply today my florinef reaction.

Thanks

I'm not sure if you would've had a reaction so quickly.

I can't take florinef. After my first pill (1.0 mg), I was violently ill with flu like symptoms. Each pill I took that week was worse, and I was taking it 3x per day.

It's something you may want to talk to your doctor about. Florinef is generally tolerated well, so even my doctor was skeptical at first - hence why I was on it for a week before I could stop it.

I know with me, the symptoms got worse over time, and at 5 minutes it I couldn't tell I had taken it. It took about an hr to start making me sick.

I would say if you're worried, call your doctor tomorrow. If you think it's an allergic reaction, it's not something you want to mess with as florinef builds in your system over time.

thanks Julie and Alyssa. Have not taken any today, and emailed my consultant waiting for response. the odd thing is other than the initial reaction, profuse sweating and small rash on my hand i felt better. noticed myself dancing yesterday! Good med, but perhaps my body can't tolerate it.

Serbo,

Math is NOT my forte :wacko: , but I just want to check and make sure that you took the appropriate dosage. A whole pill is 0.1mg. You say that you took 0.25mg, which would be 2.5 tablets. I'm guessing that you actually had 1/4 of a 0.1mg pill, 0.025- right?

I'm asking as 2.5 tablets as a 1st dose COULD cause your symptoms. It was a great drug for me. I use it intermittently as needed and often settle on 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet. My son, on the other hand, did take 3 whole tablets at his worst. We both have to carefully monitor BP as it will creep up with florinef.

If you did have 1/4 tablet, I would guess it's not the drug of choice for you :mellow: Have you tried licorice? Many who can't tolerate florinef get good/similar results with that.

Julie

My dad is a pharmacist, (which is really handy when the store pharmacists are less than forthcoming about possible interactions or info on new meds!) and he has told me that medications, unless they are the rapid dissolve or fast acting formulations, take a good 20 minutes to hit the bloodstream. However, many of us POTSies are prone to anxiety, and a anxious reaction to taking a new med could have caused the "itchy feeling". That being said, if you are very, very sensitive you may have had an allergic reaction from just touching the pill. So I would say consulting your doctor would be the best idea before taking it again. I would ask if taking it with benadryl would be okay, because not only could it help with an allergic reaction, but it's slightly sedative effect could help you to stay calm as well. Good luck!!

Sandy

Thanks Julie, yes i had 1/4 of a 0.1mg pill, 0.025. The dosage confused me to, so i asked the dr to clarify. i only took an 8th of the recommended dosw 200 mcg.

Could be an anxiety thing, was unusual the way it hit me though, normally to tacky with flushing in seconds. Still awaiting dr's response, but i am tempted to try taking it again although i know this wouldn't be clever.

Sandy - I took a quarter of a hay fever pill a while ago, and ended up in hospital the next day. i couldn't stand up for long enough to use the toilet (am a guy :) ), make food etc, had a big relapse. Strangely i was never this sensitive to drugs until i started getting the POTS symptoms.