Cfs - Study Supports Autoimmune Theory

ramakentesh

Makes sense. Many of us become ill following a major stress of some sort- virus, surgery, accident, etc- all of which could set our immune systems into overdrive.

Some, like me, ultimately become immunodeficient (Low IgG & IgA.) Makes me wonder if the chronically hypervigilant immune system eventually depletes...

This also makes sense with the MCAD connection. Our mast cells (an essential part of the immune system) are in overdrive. We perceive benign stimuli as being threatening. All of the antihistamines simply dampen the effects of the degranulating mast cells from this inappropriate fight or flight response.

Interesting to see where this goes.

Also interesting in light of the number of people who have other co-existent autoimmune type diseases. Also curious that quite a few people seem to be positive for the HLA B27 gene which is related to ankylosing spondylitis, inflammatory bowel disease and reactive arthritis. Sure seems like our immune systems are caught up in all this somehow.

Also have a read of this:-

Selective IgA Deficiency is one of the most common primary immunodeficiency diseases. Studies have indicated that as many as one in every five hundred people have Selective IgA Deficiency. Many of these individuals appear healthy, or have relatively mild illnesses and are generally not sick enough to be seen by a doctor and may never be discovered to have IgA deficiency. In contrast, there are individuals with Selective IgA Deficiency who have significant illnesses. Currently, it is not understood why some individuals with IgA deficiency have almost no illness while others are very sick.

A second major problem in IgA deficiency is the occurrence of autoimmune diseases. These are found in about 25% to 33% of patients who seek medical help. In autoimmune diseases, individuals produce antibodies or T-lymphocytes which react with their own tissues with resulting inflammation and damage. Some of the more frequent autoimmune diseases associated with IgA deficiency are: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosis and Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP). These autoimmune diseases may cause sore and swollen joints of the hands or knees, a rash on the face, anemia (a low red blood cell count) or thrombocytopenia (a low platelet count). Other kinds of autoimmune disease may affect the endocrine system and/or the gastrointestinal system.

Does it seem plausible that their is a connection!!!

SOOOO many people with POTS and CFS either have autoimmune diseases as well or have first degree relatives that do - ask some of your contacts and you'll be surprised. For me, despite all the certainty Ive been told by various doctors that its not an autoimmune condition (while sometimes telling me that speculative research is hard fact) I know it has to be for me anyway.

I developed POTS and ankylosing spondylitis at the same time! My symptoms wax and wane between one or the other and a rarely have both at the same time. Things that trigger POTS in me sometimes trigger ankylosing spondylitis instead.

If this treatment becomes common place I might have to dust out my old CFS diagnosis (the one I used to hide when I got the POTS diagnosis for credibility purposes. LOL).

And ofcourse the evidence that POTS and CFS are related and/or the same:

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=16515

http://www.nymc.edu/fhp/centers/syncope/pots.htm

SOOOO many people with POTS and CFS either have autoimmune diseases as well or have first degree relatives that do - ask some of your contacts and you'll be surprised. For me, despite all the certainty Ive been told by various doctors that its not an autoimmune condition (while sometimes telling me that speculative research is hard fact) I know it has to be for me anyway.

I have been convinced for several years that there is an autoimmune link in my two POTSy kids!!! You are soooo right, ramakentesh, I have chatted with many with POTS/CFS who have other autoimmune diseases or with relatives who do. I have always found this extremely interesting and am absolutely convinced there's a link. I have autoimmune issues myself and my husband also has an autoimmune condition. Also autoimmune conditions are rampant on the maternal side of my family - my Mom and each of her siblings have autoimmune issues and my sister and brother as well. With all of that and then both my kids with disabling POTS and at least one of them with CFS, I find it downright impossible to believe there is not a connection. Then on top of that, talking with so many others who also have autoimmune in their family. Hard to deny a connection is not there. Not to say there are not other causes as well, but no doubt in my mind that some and likely many cases have an autoimmune cause.

Thanks for posting the two articles about CFS and POTS. I had not seen those.

Anna, thanks for that info about IgA difficiency. Very interesting. My mother told me i always used to get a lot sicker than my 3 sisters when i was young-hmmmm.

You too, huh?

I'm still in the retrovirus camp for a couple of reasons. First it explains the the out breaks and clusters seen, and second once infected the retrovirus can damage the DNA causing the mutation behind the autoimmune response, that we then can pass on. I think this study is an awesome start, but really just scratching the surface. I don't want to see the retrovirus research end because of this study.