Blood Pressure Is Stabilized But Pulse Goes Up?

The doc had me on florinef, but took me off it when my blood pressure was staying too high. He then gave me a prescrip for proamatine which I never took because I was afraid of raising my blood pressure even more. My blood pressure has been ok, for some reason its decided to stay pretty normal lately it's been hovering around 127/85,,but my pulse is going crazy everytime I stand up it shoots way up.

So my question is...was I right in deciding "not" to take the proamatine? What medications do they try when your blood pressure is behaving but your pulse is not?

I too was on florinef but it raised my BP too high. Now I am on midodrine(ProAmatine) and the beta blocker metoprolol 25 mg twice a day. I also take paxil and klonopin every day. I think it would be worth a try to take to midodrine, and if it makes your BP go too high, you could always quit taking it. Good luck!

I take atenolol for HR control. Works great. I do have to worry about my BP running to low though. Needs to be adjuste once and a while. I take florinef and midodrine as well to keep my BP high enough so I'm able to take the atenolol.

Brye

I wish I knew. In theory the answer to your question is ivabradine.

In my experience, I can either control HR or BP in the medium term. In the short term I have controlled both and felt great, but it has only lasted a few weeks. I can only assume that my body then attempts to compensate for the medication and I end up back where I started or worse.

On proamatine, in the medium term, by BP rose from low/low normal to high normal. My HR initially reduced to about 80, but then kept on reducing to 40 or less so I had to stop taking it on a regular basis. I still occasionally use it for a quick raise of BP if I am feeling really bad. If I was you, I would still try it. It is short acting and may well improve things, particularly if you have EDS. It is the only thing I have taken and thought it has really got to the source of the problem rather than just dealing with symptoms.

I take ivabradine and it has managed my HR down to a consistently low level (60bpm) and has improved life for me. My BP has gone back to being low/low normal. The risk with ivabradine is that the range of possible HR is narrowed so it can limit activity. Low HR and BP is not helpful. I think it has increased the amount of time I can be stood up provided I am walking around. I am less convinced it has increased the amount of time I can stand still, though perhaps that it the NCS.