20 Tubes Of Blood For Labs Today

sue1234

I finally went to do all my labs today for my new endocrinologist. I think the techs that "tended" to me said it was 20 tubes. It took an hour for the lady to get my labs into the computer and ready for the techs. I requested a place to lie down while drawing, and I'm glad I got to. It was such a commotion getting all the tubes, orders, etc. correct, the MD pathologist that runs the big lab asked to see the orders. He then came to shake my hand and say I would be well taken care of, and asked if I needed anything. I said water for after the "letting" would be good. He went and got it himself!! I should have asked for a pint of blood to go into the other arm. I had told them beforehand that I am lightheaded on a daily basis, so was a little uncomfortable giving so much blood. In the long run, it's really not that much blood, but for us, it can make a world of difference.

Now, I am a few hours out from it. I don't feel like fainting, but I feel like some of my "thought process" drained into those tubes. My brain lost some of its "get up and go". I took an iron pill, ate some beef for lunch, and am planning on a steak for supper.

I hope something shows up in these labs....

I just did this too at the hematologist a week ago. He said that he was going to leave me with just enough blood to get home. At least it does mean they are testing for a lot. I found out that I have a vitamin d deficiency, sjogren's, and probably celiac even though test is not back yet.. he put me on a 12 week gluten free diet. I hope you get some helpful results as well!

I should have made a copy so I could remember! But, he's testing something like:

TSH, free T4, and free T3

Iron panel

B-12

vit. B6

biotin

vit. D

some liver enzymes

celiac panel(the anti-thingies)

HLA(I think something to do with celiac?)

DQ something(celiac genetic testing)

porphyria panel

ACTH and cortisol

FSH

serum histamine(carcinoid)

CgA(I believe carcinoid, also) (I had the urine 5-HIAA earlier and it was normal, so he ordered these)

blood sugar

serum insulin

C-peptide

pancreatic polypeptide

I'm probably forgetting a couple of things. I didn't get the usual CBC or CMP.

Thanks, everyone. I will let y'all know IF anything shows up.

Wow, I had to have like 9 a week or so ago, but fortunately I have a port, so my home health care nurse can take my blood at home, and then I can immediately hook up to a liter (or two if need be!) of saline. Good luck, fluid load as much as you can, and let us know how it turns out!

Sandy

I forgot a couple of tests, of course! I went to him because of my low blood sugar. So, he also tested this:

blood glucose

serum insulin

c-peptide

pancreatic polypeptide

Halfway through our visit, I mentioned that BTW, I have POTS that affects my daily life. He just made the comment that some of the things he was testing for regarding low blood sugar could be a factor in POTS. So, I'll just wait and see.

I wonder what he knows about blood glucose and pots ...

I can't wait to see what they find. Btw. My thyroid numbers always look ok, but I have thyroid antibodies. My doc doesn't think these are off enough to treat but said I could try meds if Iwant to.

My last antibody test results were around 2900. My eosinophils were up too so my doc said these were

related.

Did he test for those too ? I suppose they have to stop drawing blood at some point tho. : )

Tc ... D

Dizzy, no, he didn't test for thyroid antibodies. I had my thyroid removed in '08 due to severe Hashimoto's. I did have above range antibodies back then, but not NEAR as high as yours! Are you going to try try meds?

As far as the connection of low sugar to POTS, I don't really know what he was implying. I don't know if he meant that, or if he meant that some things that can cause low blood sugar can also cause POTS issues.

Every doctor I have gone to see for blood sugar or POTS since I developed it, I've brought in copies of all the tests I'd previously had done from a doctor before them. I walked into this appt. with nothing! I didn't want anything cast to the side because someone else had already thought of that. I wanted him to look at my issues with fresh eyes, with no influence. If he asked me any questions, then I answered how the history was regarding that certain thing. The man was thorough. He took my hands and ran his finger along my nails. He noticed the indentation in the middle of my thumb nails. I had been noticing that in the last few months, and after researching on the net, saw it could indicate iron deficiency anemia. I did not even mention to him about my nails, yet he took the time to think things through. He examined my teeth/gums. You could see him really thinking about possibilities! I've been waiting for a doctor like this! So, I am taking it one appt. at a time. I go back in a couple of weeks to find out what the lab results are, and we'll go from there.

Sue,Glad your feeling well! I have had times with that amount taken and had to lay in the lab a few hours drinking juices they offered :P

I had to take only 7 tubes today thank god because it was a 12 hr fast also...

My thyroid is also being evaluated when I 1st got ill that was one of the 1st things I was tested for so I was looking through all my paper work a few days ago and found in 2009 my Tsh was 1.87 and 2010 it was 2.20 I will find out tomorrow what the results are.

They also checked B12

Vit-D

Comp-metabolic

CBC

Hate to say but I hope something finally shows, she said hypothyroid and anemia was great possibility.

Sounds like you've found a great doctor ..

I'm not sure what we're going to do about my thyroid. I was supposed to get re-tested but I haven't felt

well enough to get the tests run again. My digestion slowed down dramatically about a month ago so

I've been experimenting with my diet and magnesium citrate since.

I really hate having my blood drawn, especially fasting, when I'm feeling weak already. It just makes me feel worse ..

Tc ... X

Ps. A lot of celiacs have hashimoto's. It's a shame you lost your thyroid when it could've been

related. My gall bladder was removed a year before finding out I was gluten intolerant. Doctors ...ugh

Got my results!

Ok everything seems pretty much normal

Potassium was slightly high. range is 3.4 - 5.1 mine was 5.2

Tsh went from 09' 1.87

10' 2.20

current 2.74

B12 was- 893

I got my results before my doc so I haven't heard anything yet...

To all of the Thyroid people are my numbers still pretty normal ??? I don't really know if the #'s going up is too normal ...So much stuff online can make it more confusing.

Thanks Lissy:)

Hi Lissy,

Are you symptomatic? My TSH was 1.5 and still I had major hair loss, crushing fatigue and dry skin. The free T3 is the more important number. If you have symptoms it would be worth checking. If not, then the number is probably normal for you. But I sure would keep an eye on it.

I have many symptoms of hypo: And Free T3 was tested at on time when the TSH was 1.87 and the T3 was 2.52. T4 was 1.00 those were Free

Hair loss and breakage

Dry skin

Cold extremities

The memory and brain fog issues

Fatigue that has been here for years and has gotten worse

I have been Dxed with major depression, anxiety disorder, PTSD

Chronic constipation

Heavy menses

These symptoms have been going on for a long time I just re- checked all my labs and the lowest TSH I found was in 2008 and it was 1.30, before that I didn't have to many issues with fatigue so I wasn't tested.

I am concerned that my thyroid could be causing alot of my symptoms but the numbers do not seem high, and I even called around today to find out if the ranges have changed and do ppl get treated based on symptoms and most nurses said the same thing I am in range and everyones different....which didn't help me too much.I don't want to be treated for something I don't have but I don't want to be dismissed if it is the problem.

Being online has seriously confused me about the ranges some ppl have Very High ranges and I keep thinking maybe mine is normal based on that?

I also read the new range is suppose to be .3-3 and if thats the case I would be knocking on the door lol.

I believe my doctor will just say that it is ok and what then? Do I just wait and see how high it can become? , I can't imagine having less energy than I do now!!! I could sleep 24hrs a day if I could. I don't know what I am gonna do.

Oh, how could I forget about the cold extremities and constipation? I had those, too LOL. Before treatment, my body temp was as low as 94.0. I was visibly shaking most of the time. If you seek out a more holistic physician or even a more old fashioned one, you will find that they are more inclined to treat symptoms rather than numbers. It took me three years to find one so don't give up. They are out there.

Try googling doctors who prescribe Armour thyroid. There is a list of them on the Armour website; it could be a place to start. I initially saw an alternative physician on the advice of a friend. She was the one who diagnosed the hypothyroidism with a low FT3, but she was not in my insurance network so I eventually found doctors who are. It has been totally worth the agonizing process because the Armour really helps me and I probably needed it for many years before I finally got it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went in for my return appt. about 10 days ago, but come to find out, just about 1/3 of the labs were back in. It was mostly the simple, everyday labs, and those were basically normal except a low vitamin D AGAIN.

The doctor's office finally got the rest of the results a couple of days ago. I've been emailing them to ask when they would post my results in my online chart and/or if they call me with the results. They called today to have me come in...which to me means there is probably something abnormal! They wanted me to come in tomorrow, but I can't get there until Thursday. I have no patience for this kind of thing!! I want to know NOW! I am used to doctor's offices calling to tell me that everything was normal, or if something was not normal, they tell me it was off and they are calling in a prescription or something. That's what makes me think something is "up". I hope it is an answer, or the beginning of an answer.