Safety Of Root Canals

gertie

I've read so many negative things about root canals. A lot of dr's now think it shouldn't be done especially if we have a compromised immune system. Having metal post in the mouth lead to

more sensitivity. Metal conducts electricity. I also read that altho they cleanse the tooth they can't

get rid of all bacteria in a tooth with RC.

What are your opinions. If you have RC have you had any problems with them?

Thanks.

I've had two, although they both predated the POTS symptoms starting. What's the viable alternative, besides losing the tooth? The two root canals I had were to fix a dead nerve root (trauma due to a fall) and to deal with an exposed nerve root (too many fillings on the tooth). As far as I know there's also no metal involved unless you have a metal crown on top of the tooth that had the root canal; the filling is usually gutta percha (a natural latex rubber from a tree from Indonesia) and thus won't conduct. But I'm not sure we're talking about exactly the same thing?

I had a root canal done in the spring and there is no metal involved in mine. The thing I had an issue with was the injection. I had this done before I understood about epinephrine and what it does to people with POTS/NCS. I had a terrible reaction to it and fainted in the chair and had stomach issues and felt gross the rest of the day. Although now that I know, I've talked to my dentist and they put a note in my file to give me a different type of injection in the future should I need one.

Thanks everyone. The metal I'm speaking of is the post they put in the tooth after cleaning out the

tooth. It's my understanding they always do this because the tooth is now a weaken dead tooth. I

think people with autoimmune illness may have a negative response to this. The disinfectant

used to clean the tooth is sodium hydrochlorite, which is bleach. I hope I'm wrong.

I can tolerate cleanings, fillings, and root canals, although I hate them all! I'm definitely a dental-phobe. I feel really yucky for the rest of the day, however, and usually wait until my sig other can take me there and back.

Are you having a root canal done? I had one a few years ago and asked not to have a crown put on. I had problems with another crown that caused me some problems, including facial numbness. I was afraid it would happen again. So the dentist reluctantly agreed not to crown this tooth - she just filled it, but she cautioned this tooth is probably weaker and more vulnerable to breaking. There's another option for you.

Hi Alicia,

I have had multiple root canals done following my POTS diagnosis.

I haven't had trouble at all.

They do NOT use metal to fill the empty canals.

The metal post you are concerned about is used to anchor crowns if the tooth is unstable.

It is most definitely not done with every root canal. I have 5 root canals and NO metal posts.

Hope this info helps!

Thanks for your replies. I need at least 2 root canals. I had my amalgams removed & the dentist drilled

too deep & got into the nerve so now it needs a RC. My environmental health dr says he doesn't like the

idea of RC but sometimes it's necessary. What worries me is that I will go thru the RC & then still loose the

teeth. All because of careless dentist.