Fell Asleep After Taking Midodrine (Sick)...but Bp Seems Ok/slightly High

iheartcats

I always hear you aren't supposed to lie down after taking midodrine, or at least not extended periods of time.

I have heard this usually only applies to people on bedrest or with other extenuating circumstances.

Well, my half-hour rest turned into 2 hours. I took my BP when I got up (122/90...higher than usual, but not terrible) and then lying down and it was 119/85. I waited a while again and it was 117/85. It's a little high/all over today but I've not had enough fluids yet and I'm sick so it's not so out of whack with me being sick.

Have you guys ever been told anything about midodrine? I am up now and seem fine....so I assume it didn't bother me terribly much. I try not to do that!

If you're like me, and based on these readings it sounds like your BP runs low generally, I would think you're going to be fine. I would imagine that your physician would probably not prescribe Midodrine unless your baseline BP was generally low. I, in fact, resisted taking Midodrine for so long b/c of these concerns. I was afraid that if I was feeling bad w/ a POTS spell and laid down, I would be in a pickle esp. if had I forgotten I had taken the Midodrine. I discussed this concern w/ my physician and she assured me that this risk was very low in a POTS patient w/ a low resting BP. And, in fact, I had been testing my BP laying down prior to our discussion and it was always within "range". Now I take it 3x a day without giving it a thought.

Of course, it would be wise to discuss your concerns with your physician re: your specific health history. But for your immediate peace of mind, this has been my experience.

I take midodrine three times a day, and a rather high dose, regardless of whether I will be sleeping or not, because if I miss a dose I am at HUGE risk of syncope upon waking/standing. While my BP occasionally shoots up, (particularly if I am in a lot of pain), for the most part, it has no real effect. As the above poster said, check with your doctor if you are concerned, but I have been on midodrine for years now, and have had no ill effect, regardless of when I take my meds, as long as I remember to take them!

Sandy

I am the same as Sandyshell, I take Midodrine 3 times a day and I sometimes have a nap after taking my second dose from an hour to two hours, no major problems now but when I started taking it there were horrible side effects but they have eased right off now and I have very little problems on it, it is a great drug and mostly keeps me from fainting as often as I did!