Sleeping All The Time?

Allene

I seem to sleep all the time. 12 hours straight at night, and I'll often take 2-3 hour naps during the day. I also have fatigue, but that is different from the somnolence. The fatigue is more like the feeling you get when you're getting over being sick. Not necessarily sleepy, but just dragging and tired.

Does anyone else feel the need to sleep excessively?

Yes. In fact, my GP sent me for sleep studies prior to figuring out the POTS dx. He was a fraid I might have narcolepsy. I don't have narcolepsy but I do have "hypersomnia". I fall alseep faster and am able/need to sleep more than what is normal. Shortly after getting that result, we got the POTS dx from the cardio. The docs attribute the hypersomnia to the POTS. I will also go through times when I can't fall asleep for hours and hours and then wake up on 2-4 hours later, but, then I need to do this multiple times through out the day because of the fatigue. My circadian rhythm is all kinds of messed up from this thing! :rolleyes:

I'm not a help in the "why", but I have had the same issue for 10+ years, and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome many years ago (and before the POTS diagnosis). If left to wake up on my own (I have 3 kids under 5, so it happens rarely!), I can easily sleep 11-12 hours. In addition, I have at least one 2.5-3 hour nap each day, and usually a shorter 45-60 minute one as well. The naps are never taken out of leisure, but absolute necessity. I'm interested to hear what others experience, too! :)