Nausea

gertie

I know we've discussed this before but I have a question. I'm trying to figure out if some of my symptoms are anxiety/panic attacks. I've always thought that most of my nausea when riding was caused from inner ear problems but when I left home for my dentist app't yesterday my stomach seemed ok. The closer I got to the dentist office the sicker I got. By the time I got to the waiting area I thought I would have to re-schedule my appt. but I put an 1/2 of an Ativan under my tongue & in a few min I started burping. This time I didn't mind the waiting & by the time the nurse came & got me I was feeling better. I didn't get sick riding home so it probably was not inner ear.

I know this sounds gross, but do you burp when you are nauseous? If so do you feel better? I know the burping was not because I had swallowed air. I do this a lot when I get nervous. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

This happens to me all the time. Do you have GERD? I have GERD and a stomach ulcer which are made worse by being anxious. GERD can cause nausea and burping too.

I get that too but I have gerd also. My main symptom is nausea and it's horrible in the car, even going a few blocks. I haven't figured out what causes it but it's not as intense if I don't eat a few hours before leaving. I do burp alot when nauseous and it helps. I take a few drinks of soda to get the extra bubbles out.

I honestly thought feeling sick while riding in the car was just a POTS thing. In fact it's the thing I hate the most about it all because at this point I can't drive at all, have to sit in the front passenger seat, and carry a barf bucket just in case.

But then again it could also be anxiety especially since you were going to the dentist. I know I have a long history of anxiety (PTSD, actually) and while I wasn't diagnosed until my teen years I remember as a young child I was ALWAYS complaining of a stomach ache and nausea in the car on the way to school. I was always fine after a little time at school but looking back I know that was anxiety. Although, I hope this doesn't complicate things anymore but... on one hand it'd be easy to say it was anxiety if Ativan helped but ativan is sometimes used to help with nausea anyway. So if the ativan took away the nausea, it could be something other than anxiety.

As for the burping when nauseous- happens to me ALL THE TIME! Ever since I developed Gastroparesis (which is most likely related to the autonomic dysfunction) I belch all the darn time. And it does help nausea. At least for a few minutes. Sometimes when I'm really sick I belch for hours uncontrollably for some reason. I've kind of just grown to accept my belching though sometimes it's embarrassing! And I suppose belching helping nausea isn't that weird- It's kind of like when you drink alka seltzer when you have an upset stomach. It'll make you burp and burp and then you usually feel better.

When I get really nauseous in the car there are two things that seem to help. One is sitting up front (less bumpy) and the other is chewing peppermint or Ginger gum to help settle my stomach.