How Does Ssri's Specifically Paxil Work On Dysautonomia?

from my experience, when I was put on paxil it was by a cardiologist and he said it helps restart the autonomic system. I am not sure exactly how it does but it seems to help. I noticed the heart pain got better and i had a little more energy to walk around more. I kind of felt jittery when I first started taking it though.

The doctor I see said they don't know how it helps they just know it does. She just happened to do her dissertation on POTS.

I get the impression that they are not sure exactly how SSRI's work in general. There is the obvious of preventing the reuptake of serotonin and increasing serotonin levels but i also read that they actually work throughout the body on nerve cells and help to generate new nerve pathways.

though i can't remember where i learned this, this is what i wrote down:

"SSRI medications inhibit the reuptake of serotonin at nerve terminals, leaving more serotonin available as a neurotransmitter. Serotonin can have a vasoconstricting effect on blood vessels."

i tried to learn more as i got worse after trying to wean off of the ssri's. i did so very gradually so no major side effects of the weaning off but felt worse over time. more tired and heart rate got up again on standing, shortness of breath etc. when i learned about the function of ssri's in dysautonomia, my doc and i decided to up them again and now after 10 days i'm doing better. not there yet but def on the way up again. it takes 2 to 4 weeks for the ssri to fully kick in.

hope this helps,

corina

Serotonin is needed for many things. All neurotransmitters are important. I get my n. transmitters checked twice a year. I do not take presriptions, just 5HTP to raise the Seratonin level, actucally making the ntransmitter is important to me.