Facial Flushing

potsyturvy

I have noticed for several years now that my face flushes really bad at certain times. Sometimes it's my whole face and other times it is just my nose or just my ears. I can usually tell when my face is flushed because I can feel it radiating heat. I have used a thermometer to measure my facial heat when it is flushed and it is usually 101* or higher. I have noticed that I experience it more in the winter when I have heaters on at home and in the car. I also flush really bad if I am out in the hot sun too long. My friends will tell me that I have a horrible sunburn, but the redness always goes away within 30 minutes of going inside. I also flush way more when I haven't gotten enough sleep. I have read about mast cell activation disorder, but it doesn't totally sound like it to me. Is this common with POTS? I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's and suspect erythromelalgia, though I am not sure if this could be caused by either of those. Sometimes it is hard to determine if certain symptoms are from POTS or from something else!!

I would definitely get carcinoid and pheochromocytoma ruled out. If you have done that, then I would consider mast cell activation especially since they are finding a link between POTS and EDS with it. I have MCAD and before my meds I would get a high body temp like that too. Take care and hopefully you find out the cause.

I have facial flushing with my hot flashes(that I believe are NOT menopausal). I have had periods of facial flushing that may last for hours or days, though. I've noticed two things bring on my facial flushing in these longer cases: vinegar bigtime, and to a lesser extent, seeds. I have no clue why.

I'll toss a male side of this flushing, I get the exact same things going on. I've had carcinoid ,pheochromocytoma ruled out, could be MCAD but haven't tested positive for anything yet. At least I don't have endure doctors telling my it's menopause or post menopausal things :P My guess is that's it's dysautonomia messing up endocrine system.......like everything else :D

My son, who's also a male :D , experiences severe facial flushing too. I do, as well- separate from menopausal flashes- those are full body nasty :wacko:. Mack's docs at Hopkins have added an H-1 and H-2 and it seems to help. I still get them, but less frequently on the meds.

I too have facial flushing not associated with hot flashes for last 3 years....I don't sweat, just red cheeks and chest. Pheo and Carcinoid have been investigated and ruled out somewhat. I have had a slightly elevated CGa and 5HIAA urine in the past two years, but octreotide scan was negative. I have H-POTS so maybe it is related to that. Taking clonidine has reduced it some.

I wake up in the morning very flushed, and happens if I am upright very long.

I just "flushed" for the very first time tonight. It lasted about two hours, and was on several parts of my body. Face, arms, legs. Sweat profusely. Will be calling my PCP first thing in the morning. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have yet ANOTHER new symptom pop up. :angry:

Sandy