Lexapro And Tachycardia

derekliz

I was put on Lexapro 20 mg by my electrophysiologist. I also was on meteprolol and klonopin. I am still on the lexapro and klonipin, I just had to change my heart med because the meteprolol wasn't controling my HR at all. I was told by my EP that the Lexapro helped block the adrenalin. It really helped me because the alarm clock went off and my HR was up for 4 hours. I am also a Respiratory Therapist and if they called a Code Blue I wasn't worth a crap. My heart would beat so fast and I would shake and sweat like I was in a sauna. I wish you luck and hope whatever meds you need to take in order to help you, that you can tolerate them.

Years ago before POTS worsened and I reacted to all meds, they tried L on me. Within a couple wks I wanted to make a bumper sticker that said;

"Just say no to Lexapro!" :angry: :angry:

Some of these things spike my heart rate.

Edited by Rachel

Derekliz, electrophysiology is a branch of cardiology where the doctors specialize in the conduction mechanisms of the heart. I don't know if searching for an EP doc will help any more than any other specialty. I think the main goal is to find any doctor, whether neurologist/cardiologist/etc, who is knowledgeable about your condition or who is willing to learn and try various treatments with you. Most of us have to go through some time of trial and error before we find doctors and meds that actually help our symptoms.

Hi Liz. When I first started Lexapro it seemed to help, but, after a couple of months I started to experience POTS symptoms within an hour of taking my Lexapro. I did not know at the time that POTS was what I had, so I can't say for sure that it caused tacchyardia but it definitely made me symptomatic. I also experienced this with Paxil when we tried it as an alternative to the Lexapro.

Hi Liz I am on Propranolol 120mg twice a day for my heart. I also take Midodrine 5mg twice daily for my OI. i went to the EP because my HR was so high. He did a cardiac ablation to burn abnormal pathways. It took 24 burns to get rid of that extra pathway. He also did my TTT. I just had another TTT by an EP here in Myrtle Beach, SC. He concluded that I have Autonomic Failure. He disagreed with everything the Mayo Clinc (Jacksonville) said. I also take Klonopin 2 mg 3 times a day, Marinol for nausea, Vitamin D 4000 units a day, Glucophage- Diabetes and sometimes Novolog, Lorcet 10/650 for Migraines,Elavil 100 mg for small fiber neuropathy and Adderall 10mg twice a day for Chronic Fatigue. I was on Florinef, but the EP wanted me weaned off because my Adrenal glands were not working. My cortisol was zero. I do have phenergan to use if I get severly nauseated. I take Tricor for Lipids and Cholesterol. I think that is about it. I had chronic chest pain and was on Ranexa 1000mg twice a day, but it didn't help so we stopped that. I have had 3 cardiac caths and was told I have very small coronary arteries. The Metprolol was causing vaso constiction of the coronary artereies, which made my CP awful. Since we changed to the Propanolol I have had no CP and that is amazing. During my TTT the EP said he had never seen anyone respond the way I did. My HR was as low as 30 and as high as 180. My BP dropped 80 to 100 points upon standing. He gave me Isuprel(adrenaline) and he also gave me a med to increase my BP. The doc always gives 100-200mg and for some reason(GOD) he only gave me 20mg. When they stood me up I was screaming in pain. I thought my head was going to blow up. They laid me down right away and got the crash cart and started throwing Nitro's under my tongue and gave me IV Nitro. My BP went up to 289/260. If he would have given me a 100mg I would have died. But atleast I know what's going on. I have POTS, but that is not my main problem. The Autonomic Failure is. My thyroid, pancreas, gallbladder and now adrenals are not working. Had the gallbladder out 2 years ago. Now this crap is effecting my bowels and intestines now. Fun Fun! Hopefully my adrenals will start working again and I won't have that to worry about. Since the med changes I am not passing out all the time. I had a bad concussion last month from so much fainting and hitting my head. That is my life story....LOL I wish you all the luck in the world. You will also be in my prayers. Oh yeah I am now allergic to all kinds of meds. I have never had allergies in my life. I am 40 years old and have had POTS since 2004. Stopped working due to OI in May 2010.