How To Get Life Back On Track?

lieze

Are any of the rest of you feeling like you need to get back to normal? Where do we start?

For me I lived a somewhat normal life and then boom something??? took over my life.

I'm interested in how everyone else copes.

I realize I may never get back to normal but wow I'd like to even get halfway there.

You have to learn to redefine your own personal "normal". What is it that you want to do to that is "normal"? I have learned to accept some limitations and to listen to my body. But sometimes you need to remind yourself that movement is good for the body. We are not meant to sit around. Even if you feel bad, try a five minute walk down the street.

Also, time helps a lot. There are good days and bad days, but you cannot give up fighting to get better, because over time you will slowly notice more good days than bad days.

I have also found a lot of help with therapy, energy work, acupuncture, diet (gluten free, sensitivties), and meaningful friendships that add to my life. I don't do drama anymore! You have to be willing to try new things and give them time to see if you feel better. I also find a lot of comfort in books such as Wherever you Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, and Taking Charge of Your Own Health by Lisa Hall.

An understanding doctor also helps. I have seen some who make me depressed and cry, others that I stick with give me hope and treatment options based on their informed opinions.

Another thing is to not compare yourself to others. You are your own person and you only have your life to live. You do not know how others are feeling so don't compare yourself with them. Just know you are doing your best to cope and heal. I read this great little story out of a book by Pema Chodron. She had a friend send her a dog tag that said "Sit. Stay. Heal." (get it? heal and heel?) It helps reinforce the idea of being mindful and being in the present moment, non-judgementally. When I get anxiety, whether it is my POTS or what, I say to myself "Sit.....Stay.....Heal" and it helps me to calm down and not try to flee and escape the moment.

Sorry if these ideas don't appeal to you. They never did to me before POTS, but I really have found a lot of this to be true and helpful so I thought I would share! The health of your mind is just as important as your body : )

leize~ i certainly understand EXACTLY what you are saying.... I am not coping well as im more down than i am anything anymore with sick days.... it sparks confusion and feelings and thoughts of all kinds of sorts.... im a fixer by heart.... i can't fix this... i dont even know how to manage it.... mostly i stay positive, but here lately, it just aint happening.... when i think i've got a grip on something, it slides through like sand in my fingers....

how i want to get my life back on track.... i think about that one thing constantly, hoping for it, but it never comes.....

i myself, am at odds.....

leize~ wishing you comfort and peace..... and wishing you better days ahead :)

tennille

You have to learn to redefine your own personal "normal". What is it that you want to do to that is "normal"? I have learned to accept some limitations and to listen to my body. But sometimes you need to remind yourself that movement is good for the body. We are not meant to sit around. Even if you feel bad, try a five minute walk down the street.

Also, time helps a lot. There are good days and bad days, but you cannot give up fighting to get better, because over time you will slowly notice more good days than bad days.

I have also found a lot of help with therapy, energy work, acupuncture, diet (gluten free, sensitivties), and meaningful friendships that add to my life. I don't do drama anymore! You have to be willing to try new things and give them time to see if you feel better. I also find a lot of comfort in books such as Wherever you Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, and Taking Charge of Your Own Health by Lisa Hall.

An understanding doctor also helps. I have seen some who make me depressed and cry, others that I stick with give me hope and treatment options based on their informed opinions.

Another thing is to not compare yourself to others. You are your own person and you only have your life to live. You do not know how others are feeling so don't compare yourself with them. Just know you are doing your best to cope and heal. I read this great little story out of a book by Pema Chodron. She had a friend send her a dog tag that said "Sit. Stay. Heal." (get it? heal and heel?) It helps reinforce the idea of being mindful and being in the present moment, non-judgementally. When I get anxiety, whether it is my POTS or what, I say to myself "Sit.....Stay.....Heal" and it helps me to calm down and not try to flee and escape the moment.

Sorry if these ideas don't appeal to you. They never did to me before POTS, but I really have found a lot of this to be true and helpful so I thought I would share! The health of your mind is just as important as your body : )

wonderful post :) i've had some severe anxiety that has actually shocked me this past week.... don't know where it's coming from, but boy is it scary.... i will have to use the 'sit, stay, heal' technique that you mention.... and it is so hard not to compare ourselves to normal.... so hard. But i think, what's even harder for me.... is i feel so very useless.... so useless.... and im a go-getter, hands on, multitasker, take the bull by the horns kinda gal..... yet, i've lost all of that......

im bookmarking this thread, so that i can go back to it as a reminder... as i book mark many of them on here, so that i can go back and read them..... im glad you took the time to post it and thank you for that.

tennille

Hi Leize,

I'd say coping can be easy or hard depending on whats going on a that specific moment, like if I have no new problems I can manage pretty well but my body seems to have a "storm" brewing every once in awhile and it starts the process all over again. SO I don't just learn to cope with life changing illness the fear of new potential problems has to be figured into the equation...

Praying is my coping