Flying The Friendly Skies & Pots

iheartcats

I have to do a round-trip flight soon and am not looking forward to it. I've not flown in...4+ years. Before my POTS diagnosis.

I know I should take hydration tabs for water (like NUUN), carry my own snacks, take my meds, etc.

Should I take a Doctor's note about frequent urination and that I have a disability?

Can I use my handicap placard in another state?

My family has helped me purchase plane tickets with 'extra legroom' - it was quite a bit more expensive for the "Premier" seating but I get more leg room AND first group boarding and I really need that. I'm really tall and I know I just can't stand being cramped with POTS.

I'm flying alone and nervous. But I'm checking bags and have time to prepare.

I just flew to Columbus Ohio in May (I'm in northern Cali) and I was a little nervous about the trip. It was my first flight since the POTS. Definitely hydrate and salty snacks are a very good idea. I don't typically have to urinate any more often than I used to, so that wasn't an issue. The thing that helped the most was that I wore thigh high compression stalkings...I don't know if it would have gone nearly as well if I didn't have those. In fact, I noticed such a difference in them just standing that I wore them all weekend (we were going to a concert festival) and I had much fewer problems than usual! If you can't stand the thigh high, they do come in knee high, but the thigh ones work best. I still experienced a bit of nausea and blood pooling in the feet and legs, but honestly, it wasn't anything I couldn't live with and I chalk that up to having the TED Hose. Good luck! Hope all goes well for you! (I will be flying out to Florida in November and I will DEFINITELY be bringing the compression stockings!)

Having done some recent flying as well, I would echo the compression and hydration being really important. The fact that you have extra leg room is great. We ended up having a weather delay that stuck us 2 hours on the plane at the airport, so by the time we reached our hotel I collapsed getting out of the car. But that was my hip giving out from EDS, not blood pressure or tachycardia. As for your placard, I know the paperwork I got with mine said it was legal to use in any car I was in, so we took it with us on our trip. I really could not have managed without it. Also, any medications or supplies you may need do not count towards your carry-on allotment. So if you have a lot (as I do, I have an IV pole, liters of saline, and various supplies for hydration via port/cath) pack it in a separate bag without worrying that you will have to check it. What helped me most was having them get me a wheelchair when I checked in and got my boarding passes. I could have probably walked to the gate, but standing in line to go through security would have been a disaster. Bad enough when I had to stand in place for my pat down. Plus if you are in a wheelchair they wheel you right up to the front of the security line. Just have some cash ($3-5) to tip you "driver".

Sandy

I second the compression and wheelchair... or cane seat. Ask to pre board. I kind airline staff to be very helpful but I have had other passengers be rude to me. If you are sitting in a wheelchair people will not be rude. I request bulk head seating and put my feet up on the wall. Best wishes. It is scary but I found it not to be as bad as I thought it would!

Also I had a note from mayo clinic and no one even looked at it. Airlines are used to seeing all kinds of things.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting this. I'm planning a 5 hr plane trip and am feeling really anxious because

my petite mals make me totally brain dead and confused if I'm up too long. At this point,

I'm lasting an hour tops .. I'm one of those

who only recovers if I lay supine.

I've been using wheelchair assistance for a few years now and would never try flying again without it.

The last time I tried, I had non stop petite mals and couldn't stop crying because I was so confused.

I was wondering if anyone has tried meds for travelling ? I noticed that when I take prescription pain meds for my

back pain, I don't care if I have oi or brain fog. These constipate me horribly but I'd risk it to feel

better on the plane trip.

Does anyone have any other one time meds or tricks for a long plane trip ? Thanks .. D

If you can take a muscle relaxer (talk to your doctor) you won't be so tense. Also, have a neck pillow and back support pillow - get as comfortable as you can. In a wheelchair they will usually put you in the bulk head and you have more room to stretch your legs out - maybe have a bag that you can take from overhead to put your feet up on. I get up at least every hour to stretch and walk. That keeps my legs moving and the blood moving. You can carry a camelback bottle empty through the securty and fill it with water on the other side and then you have immediate water. I will sometimes put Emergen C's in my water - a preventative for colds too. Just some of my tricks.

Edited by MomtoGiuliana
medical advice

Definately use the wheelchairs at the airports. If I try to walk much I find I have problems on the flight....chest pain, shortness of breath, ect. Be sure you are hydrated and use the compression hose.

I know this is strange, but I order hot tea, and a coke with lots of ice and alternate the hot and the cold drinks(and eat the ice)....tricks my ANS into behaving! I also take a benadryl before the flight.

The only trouble I have had is the assent and decent and that is only if I have walked much before the flight. Get up and move as soon as the seatbelt sign is off.....I usually have to go to the rest room. Bulkhead seats are more roomy, but some airlines make you put your purse(which has all my meds in it) in the above bin as you have no seat in front of you to put it under. I tried hiding it under my feet, but a few made me put in up anyway. I don't like being seperated from my meds...I also have addison's(adrenal failure).

I took my handicap tag with me....got a multipocket info tag that I could put around my neck, put letter from dr stating I needed to carry my meds on the plane(I have syringes for the Addison's if I have a crisis) and that I would need assistance as I cannot walk very far without BP and HR increasing too high, and the handicap tag in it and $5's in my shirt pocket for tips to the wheelchair people.

If your airline has first class seperation talk to the stewardesses before you take off and explain you can't walk very far and need to use the closest rest room(which if you are bulkhead will be the front first class rest room). I have had first class customers and stewardesses be VERY rude to me when I tried to use that rest room unless I talked to the stewardess before and explained my health issues.

Try to stay very calm....read a book, ect that helps a lot.

Hope this helps and you have a good trip!

I have flown several times since pots and have never had an issue( other than my flying anxiety) :). I drink a ton of water and take Xanax. The Xanax really helps me to get calm and not obsess over my physical symptoms of anxiety. I also don't get up at all once I'm in my seat but flex my legs a lot to try to get the blood flowing. You'll do fine.

Thanks. These are some great ideas. It really helps me to hear from people I know understand.

I can't take some of the meds suggested but I think i've got

the idea. I'll need to get some compression hose, a book, salty snacks, theanine, etc. The hot / cold

idea sounds interesting.

Make sure the flight attendant knows I can't walk very far. Quite honestly, I've been too emotional

to talk about this most of the times I've flown. After my last attempt at walking thru an airport

tho, I think I'd rather feel embarrassed than too weak to think. Part of my embarrassment is

that I'm much younger and healthier looking than the other passengers in wheelchairs so I get

the "look". And for

some reason, people think I can think even if my brain has checked out.

And .. Relax and make the most of it. Sure it will be uncomfortable but it will be worth it

to see my daughter.

Thanks again ...

My last air travel experience I had had a relapse during my/our vacation (ugh) and used a wheelchair for the first time ever in an airport. I don't know that I would have done it except for knowing others' experiences through DINET and feeling the "permission" to do it/realizing it is OK to ask for needed help. I am so glad that I did. I had my 7-yr old daughter with me and I needed to make sure she was travelling safely and comfortably as well as myself. It really eased my anxiety just to know I did not need to walk long distances to get from gate to gate at the airports we travelled through, or stand for long on lines, and saved my energy. Our travel was pleasant and uneventful.

I also made sure I had enough fluids on the trip and that I moved around frequently enough to keep circiulation going well. I also was able to get a bag if IV saline the AM of the trip.

Overall my advice is to do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

I had some ear issues the last time I flew, but it was the ear I had previous surgery. A lot of pain and pressure in my ear, and was more nauseated and dizzy the day after (almost vomited the next morning), but this was before I was diagnosed with dysautonomia, and on medication and treatment...

ive always been interested in long haul flight and POTS because a few of my relapses coincided with taking long flights for holidays or for work training. Ive wondered whether its volume depletion, being stuck upright for 20 hours plus (an extreme stressor for POTS i guess) or whether it plays havoc with nitric oxide levels or something? I read that some docs recommend a 1 dose of florinef or a saline infusion before and after a long flight if its a problem for your POTS. Not giving anyone advice here, just what ive heard that might be worth following up with your doc if concerned.