Red And Swollen Palms || Zoloft

enko

Hello everybody!

I need an insight in two matters:

1) I've started Zoloft today, 25 mg. Until 05:30 PM I didn't feel any side effects, but now I feel like that my neck is reeeeally swollen and it hurts :( If I move my chin just a bit more to my chest it is very hard to swallow. I also had that problem but in lesser form before the med. Can it be that Zoloft is making things worse? I hope not, I was full of hope.. :( My dermo also asked for antithyroid antibodies and ANA test thinking that the thyroid may be the cause, but I'll have to wait for almost two more months to have that tests done.

2) Does anybody of you have problems with swollen and red palms? Do you maybe know what can cause it?

Thank you!

Enko-

Careful, you may be having an allergic reaction to the zoloft. Were your palms red & itchy BEFORE you took it or after? I have gotten hives on the palms of my hands before... The sensation of it being hard to swallow could also be the symptom of an allergic reaction.

That being said, many with dysautonomia have a very hard time when they begin SSRI's. My son was violently ill until his body slowly acclimated- THEN they were a godsend. His symptoms, however were NOT typical allergy symptoms as your's might be. He would become very lightheaded, have a severe headache, sensitivity to light, nausea, vomiting, etc.

I do know it's really important to start with a very small dose & slowly work your way up. Maybe take a benedryl or zyrtec & see if you feel better. If so, might indicate an allergy. I'd stop and call your doc on Monday.

Let us know how this pas out for you-

Julie

Mack's Mom thank you for answering!

I've forgotten to state that swollen palms are not related to this. At the moment only my neck is the problem, and I'm already on 10 mg of Letizen (basically it's Zyrtec) on daily basis because of urticaria (and even with the med I still get itchy feelings, but less). I don't know can I take one more now since I've taken the last one almost 12 hours ago (max. daily dose is 10 mg).

What SSRI was your son taking?

I think he started with paxil. His reaction was sooooo extreme that we thought it was paxil causing it. His doc switched him to lexapro- same bad reaction. It took 2 weeks at 1/4 tablet of the lowest dose for things to settle down. Then, he started titrating upwards to a therapeutic dosage. He was good at 10mg of lexapro, but his doc ultimately upped him to 20mg. He used to panic when his BP dropped which was multiple times a day. Now, it rarely happens (because of his meds), but when it does, he just matter of factly drops to the floor and raises his feet to get blood to his brain. The lexapro takes the edge off- in a good way :rolleyes:

I hope the SSRI ends up helping you too, but don't hesitate to start slow & slowly move up.

All the best-

Julie

I had all sorts of side effects when I started Zoloft. For me personally, starting at 25 mg was too high, but I found that out after a few days and didn't want to make myself feel worse by backing off at that point. I didn't have side effects until about 2-3 days in, then I had crazy insomnia, severe nausea, palpitations, light-headedness, complete loss of appetite--basically two weeks of ****. I'm just glad I didn't start at 50 mg like my doctor at the time told me to! Yikes!

For me, Zoloft has helped, but it hasn't made all the symptoms go away. I'm up to 100 mg now.

Current state:

I've went to sleep then and woke up two and a half hours later. My throat was feeling a bit better but I had a huge headache and my right eye was giving me terrible pain (behind the eye). I've took a painkiller and it did help. I couldn't sleep for next two hours (and I really couldn't find a good "spot" when my neck wouldn't hurt of feel pressured) so I've tried to take another Letizen. It didn't help and I was awake til 5 AM :( When I woke up around 9:30 AM my throat was better. Few days later things are not perfect, I still have painful tension in my neck.. in the meantime my neuro (yes, my neuro, not my dermo!), asked to test histamine in blood and urine (24h test) and tryptase. That would be fine, BUT none of hospitals here do the histamine tests! And I'm living in state's capital! I'll be able to do only the tryptase, but I'm not sure about one thing - I guess I should stop taking my H1-blocker, but for how long before the test? Four days, seven?

I'm still stuck with the SSRI and I'm hoping that it will make things better..

Thank you all for answering, your support means a lot!

Sorry you're still feeling so bad :(

Lawrence B. Schwartz in Richmond VA is considered to be a mast cell expert. He is "open" and knowledgeable about mast cell activation disorder. If any of your testing is abnormal (OR if you can't find local answers), he's your closest go-to expert. Hope he's not too far away. He can most certainly do the histamine testing.

Julie

Well, considering that I'm in Croatia (Europe) that is far away..

But I'm thinking of writing an e-mail to one of the mast cell experts and ask for any opinion or advice, if nothing else.. So you would recommend Dr. Schwartz?

Ha, ha :D Sorry. When you said the capitol, I just assumed Washington D.C.

No, if you suspect MCAD, I would recommend Dr. Lawrence Afrin in Charleston, South Carolina OR Dr. Marianna Castells in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Afrin is very good about helping via E-mail and Dr. Castells will arrange phone consults.

I only thought of Dr. Schwartz because of his supposed proximity to you- WRONG :P

Julie