Salt Loading

jennyg97

I had thought I'd been doing a pretty good job of salt loading - adding salt to everything, drinking salty drinks and the like. But in my recent downturn of the last few months, I started doing more research and learned that some of the newer research is recommending an intake of as much as 8 GRAMS of salt. I believe this is included in the Levine Protocol. Hard as I've tried, I don't think I've ever made it anywhere close, despite taking 5-6 salt tablets per meal, upon awakening and before bed.

So I was just curious how much we're talking about when people say they are eating a lot of salt. And how you're boosting your intake. And if you see greater results at the higher levels.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Actually, thanks for raising another point of confusion. Is it sodium chloride (salt) that we need or just sodium? My understanding is that it's the sodium we need, but salt is the easiest way for us to get it. My salt tablets have only 180 mgs of sodium each.

My understanding is that 1000 mgs = 1 g, so 452 mgs of sodium chloride/salt is almost 1/2 a gram of salt.

My doctor suggested 10 grams of salt a day. There was no way I was getting that (salt tablets make me really sick), so he finally put me on Florinef so I didn't have to eat as much salt. Right now, I try to eat 1/4 teaspoon of salt on my eggs each morning, and then I add a bunch of salt to the rest of my food throughout the day. I'm still not sure exactly how much I'm getting, but it's quite a bit. My doctor also said that we should only eat 2 grams of iodized salt a day and the rest should be uniodized because researchers aren't sure how large amounts of iodine affect people with POTS.

My doctor also recommended 8-10 grams of salt a day. I salt my foods like a crazy woman, and I've tried salt tablets but couldn't tolerate those. So, I do the best I can with salty snacks/drinks and just salting everything in sight. I also drink sports drinks to help out a little. It's a good thing that I love salt - sometimes, in place of the margaritas I used to love (rocks, extra salt), I'll buy Crystal Light's Margarita mix (no alcohol) and have it with a ton of coarse salt.