Instant tachycardia from the cold?

yogini

I think I may have asked a similar question before, but I can't seem to find the post!

I was feeling pretty well this afternoon. My pulse was in the 70s/80s sitting and standing today so I decided to go outside to run a couple of errands. I was OK at the store across the street, and then I went outside and walked almost a block and felt my heart start to pound. I looked down at my heart watch and my pulse was 120. It's definitely not the worst tachy I'd had, but it scared me enough to make me come home. I mean who knows how high it would've gone.

I am wondering whether this was totally because of the weather, because when I came inside my HR went back into the 90's. I think this has happened to me a few times before. I know that POTS patients can be sensitive to the cold just as the warm weather, but do any of you get so tachy right away after being outside for just a few min?

Can't wait for winter to be over,

Rita :P

Guest tearose

Hi Rita, yes, my body thermostat is very funky so feeling cold, being in the cold can trigger a very fast heart rate in me. If you want to get a grip on the "normal" workings of your heart over the day you may want to consider using a heart monitor. You will soon learn that certain body movements, foods, temperature changes will trigger a little upswing.

You may be a bit dehydrated, you may be tired, you may be coming down or fighting a virus...

Wait and watch to see any pattern. Keep us up to date meanwhile...

Please don't loose any sleep over this or miss out watching any of the golden globes!!! :P

warm regards, tearose

I definitely get more tachycardic walking in the cold--with the lovely added benefit of increased chest discomfort/pressure as well. (I never--or rarely--get any chest discomfort in warmer temps [higher than 40 degrees] but I almost always do in the cold.) It's definitely a bummer.

Remember, it's OK to put off til tomorrow or next week what you can do today. That seems to be my motto these days, as I stare and stare at these piles of paperwork!

stay warm,

merrill

I know I read somewhere that people with angina can have it brought on by the cold, so I'd guess that anything heart-related could be brought on by that kind of weather.

Try to stay warm. I'm freezing my tail off here in Wisconsin.

Amy

Heat is much worse in the sense that I get tachy right away. It's an instant reaction to heat. But lately if I'm in the cold for an extended time or if it's really cold out I can get tachy.

If I had to make a choice, be out on a really hot day for an hour or a really cold day I'd still pick the cold day.

GayleP

Guest Julia59

I can't stay in the cold for more the a couple of minutes---it triggers all kinds of lovely pots symptoms. My HR also become irregular.

My guess---and only a guess.......

Since the ANS also controls body temperature, I think we are more prone to hypo thermia---due to the fact we are unable to warm ourselves like a person who does not have ANS dysfunction. One of the first symptoms of hypo thermia is arrithmia.

Julie :0)

Guest tearose

How ya doin Rita?

Are you still zipping at a tacy pace?

I too have a polar heart rate monitor. (I have three actually.) I use one from when I get dressed in the morning till I get ready for bed. It is one way to keep my mind on my activities and not on what my heart is doing. If I am out doing errands and I start "beeping" I know to slow down a bit or to sit down for a bit. It has been so freeing to have the monitor!!!

When do you use yours?

best regards, hope you are feeling better, tearose

Tearose,

You're so sweet to check in on me. For some reason I've been more dizzy and tachy than normal over the past few days. I have had few other weird symptoms, like dry, scaly hands, too. I am extra nervous, beacuse I have been slowly tapering off my florinef over the past 4 months, and I am down to the last quarter pill. The last 2 times I tried this, I crashed. So right now I am just loading up on salt and fluids and hoping that I'm not headed for a potshole... :) Will keep you posted.

I usually have the heart monitor on unless I am just sitting around (or sleeping) at home. It's been a total lifesaver...

By the way, I didn't get the chance to respond to your eariler posts, but congrats on how you handled the situation with the NY dr and Mayo!

-Rita

Merrill,

I started having BP spikes in late Oct. which made me really tired all the time and very sick a couple of times. So I had to try reducing again, which my docs have been telling me to do since the summer anyway (and then Mayo agreed). I wasn't sure if I was going to go off all the way, but my BP kept spiking even at the lower dose of florinef. So now it is Jan and I am almost off it! No more spikes, and less headaches and nausea too. But we'll see what happens when I go off totally?.

I am still on atenolol. I still get those darn tachy attacks, so I don't see myself going off it anytime soon?. :)

Guest tearose

Hi Rita, keep hanging in!

Martha asked about the heart rate monitor...She asked where we got them Rita...

I got two from the store "Sports Authority" and one from a fitness store. Mine are years old and doing fine. I forget where you got yours Rita.

keep warm, tearose