Histamine Intolerance Vs Food Allergies Vs Wacky Pots Symptoms

iheartcats

I recently reacted to a dipping sauce that said "No Added MSG" (but apparently there must have been a lot of natural occurring MSG in it due to Soy Sauce). I got a lot of hives that calmed down after about 45 minutes, but had faster heart rate, dizziness, etc. so it turned into a POTS flare.

Now, I have to drag myself for a blood test for food allergies as I can't do a skin test (the skin test didn't show much that I had a few years back but I get severe symptoms/hives after cashews so can't eat nuts). They say the skin tests aren't 100%, but the blood tests are a bit better.

I've never reacted to Soy, etc. but I read that MSG and certain things like Soy Sauce can cause a HISTAMINE response which, while not an allergy, can make you feel bad, give you hives, etc. (and of course flare up the POTS).

I'll update after the blood test, but I'm wondering if this 'histamine response' affects any of you? I guess I have to avoid soy sauce and the such as it makes me feel terrible and hives are uncomfortable.

Hi,

I have no documented allergies besides BEE stings, but I have noticed some wacky itching without hives lately.

When I have eaten

Soy sauce

Arby's sauce

Western dressing

I begin itching everywhere for about 30-45 mins no hives or swelling then it goes away???....I have been avoiding Nuts,tree nuts,certain oils in foods,seafoods,

or anything I haven't tried or had in many years.Which I have a very limited selection now:( I have mentioned it to my doc but she doesn't think about of it, Hate to change docs again this will be like # 33.

Lissy keep us posted on your testing;)

I really think I was reacting to glutamate for a while.

I would just feel it hit my bloodstream and for about 20 minutes there I just felt like I was going to come right out of my skin. It felt like I was going to have a seizure or something.

The allergist I saw said the best way to determine what you react to was to just try different foods and be cautious for reactions.

I have many foods I react to that did not show up on my skin test.

Garlic and onion for me are my worst and I did not have a positive reaction to either one but I can get a reaction just from smelling the odor of them in food if my mom is cooking and the aroma permeates the house-I end up in a mess and having to evacuate the premisis.

I just wondered if it could also be an intolerance to "glutamate" as soy sauce is high in this natural amino acid. Other foods like cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, stock cubes are also high in glutamate.

As is aspartame and it's surprising that aspartame is in so much. It messes up the nitric oxide levels. I caused a very expensive emergency room visit from sugar free gum and nitro glycerin helped correct the glutamate over dose. (At least - that's my theory.)

My blood tests came back...I'm very allergic to molds and dust mites (which I know). And a small cat allergy (again, which I know...and I'm a cat person but have told to been keep it to 'one cat' to keep it under control).

No food allergies. They aren't sure why I hived out from cashews a few years back. Chance? Something else? Random?

But they've told me not to worry about cross-contamination at least. I don't feel comfortable trying nuts yet...but at least it's less of a worry.

I do wonder if MSG is a sensitivity of mine...I don't think you can test for it. But it's not good for me anyway! So I can avoid it.