Making Progress

potsyturvy

So, yesterday, for the first time in years, I walked on a treadmill. I have been using a stationary recumbant bike for about a year now for my exercises and I am trying to start walking for exercise now. I have a vestibular problem, so balancing is really hard and I was scared to try using the treadmill. I walked for 5 minutes at 2 mph and then took a break, then walked for 7 minutes at 1.5 mph. I know that is like extremely slow, but it was a HUGE accomplishment for me since only 6 months ago, I could hardly even walk to the bathroom. I was just so excited that I was able to do it that I needed to share with people who would understand what a big deal this is! :)

I also had a question though. After walking it my achilles tendons were really tight and sore. I have EDS and so I was wondering if this is normal or if there is something I can do to prevent injuring that tendon?

You sound so much like my daughter and how she was with walking. Liz was horizontal for 3 and a half years. She didn't sit up, stand, or walk without help. Close to the 3 year mark, her physical therapists thought that maybe her vestibular system had been affected by the POTS and being down for so long. The summer of 2010 was a time of extensive vestibular therapy for her and she went from sitting up for 20 minutes to being able to sit up all day in school last fall. By x-mas time, she was taking a few steps on her own and this past June, she did a 3 mile hike up a mountain in Colorado! So, I am very excited to hear about your progress and I encourage you to keep working hard! It will come and Liz had days where she cried because the therapy was so difficult but it has so paid off!

In the area of EDS, Liz doesn't have it but she is still having problems from time to time with her calf muscle getting very tight while walking. She was told to do stretching before she walks and after. She also can have sore legs after walking all day. Yesterday, we went to the zoo and shopping afterwards and today she has sore legs.

Way to go and keep it up!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! It is exciting to feel like I am finally making some progress!

Brenda, I did vestibular therapy for 3 months last year. It helped some, but I think my pt focused more on the POTS exercises than on the vestibular therapy :blink: I'm thinking at some point, I might ask my doctor about vestibular therapy again, but still not sure about it.