beta blocker must be working

ginger

Ok, my beta blocker really helped tonight. 3 in my family ended up in ER at the same exact time!

I had hoped this year would be different...no more accidents, no strange disorders, just answers and hope. Anyone know how to get rid of unlucky carma? bad auras? Didn't used to believe in that stuff, but I'm starting to wonder. :wub:

My daughter, my sister-in-law, and my niece all to ER tonight, Friday!

When I was picking up kids, my daughter had gone outside to wait on me talking to in-laws. She came in crying, with her brother running after. You won't believe this... she stuck her tongue on the metal handrail outside!!! I asked her, "don't you remember the Christmas Story?" Not only did she frostbite the top tip of her tongue, she tore the frendulum (spelling) that holds the tongue down to the base of the mouth... that strip of tissue stuff. Bled awhile, but got that stopped and she was left with a split/hole just above where saliva comes out. Called ER triage and they said bring her in.

Daddy and daughter went on the adventure. I stayed home with my son. I didn't need to make a scene at ER myself. :P At his point the ENT on staff tonight said it would be better to get in to regular ENT first thing Mon/Tues. It wouldn't hurt her to wait as she could talk ok, not perfect, but good enough. ENT said better to do surgery under non-ER setting. So, they called in referral to our regular ENT and he will decide if, how much and when they need to stitch the tongue back down/tie up the tear. My daughter was the hit of the ER and sparked much laughter and disbelief. Everyone said, "she did what?" and then asked her, "Honey, why did you do that?" Her ER doc told my husband, "To be honest, this the first thing like this I've ever had." Good grief, and from my straight A student.

My sister-in-law and niece were in car accident. Rear-ended by 30mph car and shoved into car in front. Car bad. 1 yr old niece is ok. She may be sore tomorrow. Sister has mild concussion and back is very sore. Gave her morphine and has to follow up. She may have long term damage to her back/neck with that kind of whiplash. Hoping no strange autonomic responses to the trauma for sure. :wub:

Anyway, I was proud of myself. I never lost my cool. Didn't get too tachy. My son and I prayed together (touching moment with him). So, in the end, everyone's home and beat up, but ok. Have to wait until Mon to see what ENT says is next for my daughter.

Life can sure take some bizarre twists, can't it!? I KNOW you all can relate to that. Just thought I'd unload on my POTS buddies... Thanks for listening...

oh, and yes, it's ok to laugh hysterically at what my daughter did. Everyone in ER and my husband and I did, too.

I'm sure tired now after all that excitement. Night all.

Ginger

Guest tearose

Ginger! You endured all that...you will sleep well for the next few days!

What an amazing turn of events.

I am glad your sister in law and niece will be okay.

I cringed to hear what your daughter did! The poor little thing! She probably feels embarrassed?

If it helps share this story with her...My son, curious and young, was in the yard playing and suddenly came running inside with tears streaming down his face. He said he was stung by a bee on his thumb as he was holding the bee! I asked why he was holding a bee! He said he wanted to see where the honey was! Hope this makes your daughter laugh!

It sounds like you and your son shared some special moments too.

Life is an incredible adventure!

I'm glad you are feeling overall well and that your family is going to be okay.

More thoughts tomorrow...

Good night wishing you a calm tomorrow, tearose

oh ginger! what a crazy night! i will try to take some tips from you as far as staying calm during all that was going on! the story about you daughter...i hope she can laugh at it too some day! oh, the funny things we do! hey, one time i poured water all over the basement floor b/c i thought that i could get the water to rise, condense, make clouds, and then rain! oh, this site reminds me that we are all human...that's what i love about it so much! wishing you a peaceful night tonight. maybe you got all the bad stuff out of the way in january and the rest of the year will be smooth sailing? that's kind of what i am hoping for around our house too! goodnight! emily

Good gravy boy does that sound like a LLOOONNGGGG nite. I'm sorry for your daughter, but I have a good one too, though a few years old.

Why did the chicken cross the farm yard? why to chase my daughter of course.

My daughter was 3 at the time, but had a run in with one of our chickens. Seems she was picking up eggs with my hubby and picked up one from under one of our nesting hens and whamo! the hen went nuts and chased my daughter right across the yard to the house. She got just a few scratches but in her fear and running while crying, she picked the back door to lean against and froze her pinky finger to the door. In a panic she pulled away from the door and removed the top layer of skin from her top knuckle. Ouch for her, but a bandaid and some lovin' got it "all better."

Hope all goes well Monday.

Blackwolf

OMG, I didn't mean to, but I laughed about the tongue on the metal--cause I immediately thought of "A Christmas Story" too! Now I keep hearing "kid, you're gonna poke somebodies eye out with that thing..."

:wub: sorry for laughing... you did a great job holding it together despite a really stressful day.

Nina

My goodness - how that must have hurt! Glad you fared well in spite of all that happened.

Just another story to share: My mother, as a young girl, used to watch her mother iron the clothes. Of course, that was back when you let the iron rest on a heated plate in order to heat the iron. My grandmother would test the iron's readiness by wetting her finger with her tongue, then touching her finger to the iron.

Well, my grandmother received a phone call while ironing one day (these were the days of one phone in a house, and certainly not cordless), and my mother thought she'd check the iron just like her mother always did. But she decided to take a shortcut, and stuck her tongue directly on the hot iron! Ouch!

Oh, you're stories are great! I am going to print these out and relay them to my daughter. She's trying to laugh about, too.

I can't believe how well she's doing today. She's playing and eating and drinking pretty well. Amazing how resilient they are.

Thanks again for the great laughs on your stories. I was worried this might not be the best topic to start, but hey, laughter is good medicine!

I'll let you all know what ENT says next week.

Oh, I told on her daddy and mommy, too, to make her feel better... I stuck my finger in a metal fan at age 3 and had to have surgery to put it back together. Still couldn't tell you why I did it. Although, I remember vaguely thinking a moth I had captured needed some air. My husband decided to pound a hole in the side of a barn with an ax. When asked why, he responded, "I don't know."

Gotta love life! And kids! Just hope my son doesn't want a BB gun anytime soon! lol :P

Ginger

My daughter is amazing. Kids are just so resilient. She's eating great! And her speech sounds pretty normal today. And, she's learning to deal with the chiding and laughter when people hear what she did. :P

The bad news is that my sister-in-law is back in the ER today. Nausea back, headache, major eye pressure and spots in vision. So the concussion might be worse than thought... she's getting CT now. Waiting on call from my brother for an update. Head injury stuff can be scary. My 1 yr old niece still doing fine after the accident.

Prayers for my sister-in-law, please!

Ginger

PS... oh yeah, I slept all afternoon after this weekend's excitement

Guest tearose

Of course Ginger, prayers for your sister-in-law!!! How did the CT scan go? I hope beyond the bruises that your niece is okay.

My well wishes to all of you. Keep resting too! tearose

Oh Ginger!! Tell her not to feel too bad... I once stuck my finger in the deep fryer to see if the grease was hot... It was!

Some of the things we do while not thinking!

Hope things turn around for your sister-in-law; I hope things for you are going to settle down now.

Gayla

Hey, good news!

The tongue is on the mend! And the ENT doc (while holding his laughter) said nothing more needed at this point. Since she's eating and speaking ok, they just let it go and heal on it's own. He said, "she basically gave herself a frenulectomy!" He's a great doc for kids! Made her feel good despite how she did it.

My sister-in-law's CT was negative. Thank goodness! And thanks for your prayers. She's doing a little better, but still dizziness and worn out and sore. Will still have to watch for long-term neck/back stuff. They are busy figuring out all of the insurance and car mess.

So, life goes on! :blink:

PS We got out the "A Christmas Story" video again just to watch the tongue on the pole part! I had forgotten, it took the fire department/cops to rescue Flick. Amy, great idea, "Flick" it is!