Jury Duty & Pots - What To Tell Judge

Hi guys,

When it rains, it pours. I have a jury summons. My doctor gave me an RX that I am unable to serve at this time...but I hear in California it's not always that easy. They still make you get up and question you.

When I'm up, hydrated, dressed nice, etc. I don't look sick. Many of you know how this is! I wear make-up to work and fix my hair (as much as I can!), and dress nicely. It's just how I am. Well, when I feel up to it, it makes me feel better to dress nice.

Anyway. Do you have ideas how I can explain quickly to the judge how POTS and jury duty don't go together well and that, while I don't look sick, I am? I know the stresses of a trial could throw me for a nasty flare, I have to go to the bathroom all the time, stay hydrated, stand and move about a bit when I need to. All those things I can do at work...but not during a trial.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated! Would it be over the top to take the judge a print out about POTS?

I would tell the truth. I would also emphasize that being vertical makes it more difficult to think. Thinking is an important task, and necessary for a jurist to perform. You could also bring info about POTS, like you said. This is going to be a situation where they believe you or they don't (and they think you're lying). I cannot imagine why they would not believe your doctor?!

I do not really believe they would choose you after you tell them the truth.

I think too when I get symptomatic I withdraw and I cannot focus on anything going on around me. I would not be able to hear or see what is going on around me.

I can remember periods of this in school only my symptoms were much more subtle it just felt like anxiety. Sometimes my heart would pound or I would feel the need to use the bathroom but it was much more mild then.

The inability to focus is a huge issue maybe you could describe it as starting to black out.

I know it's a bit different but it is more explanatory than just an attention deficit issue.

I honestly don't think the being-vertical thing is going to do the trick. He's just going to say that you are up and vertical for your job, right? He's going to wonder if you can't think well enough sitting on a jury, how do you think well enough to do a job?

I think what you need to point out is that, like all of us, you have to drink 3-4 quarts of fluid a day out of medical necessity, and that makes you need to use the restroom at least once an hour, if not more. That will let him know that you cannot sit in the jury box for a couple of hours, waiting for the next recess.

For some reason, I have always been able to mail my excuse in and be excused that way.

Yes, I was able to mail mine in too. Let's hope you're able to do the same. You could just keep it simple and say you have a serious nervous system condition and the long hours serving on a jury would not only impact your health, but make you a poor juror. And mention like 3 symptoms. If he brings up your job you can tell the truth ...that you used to have hours that worked with your medical condition, but since the schedule change, you're finding it difficult. And what the heck, bring an article along if he needs further clarification. I really think the Dr's note will suffice though.

Thank you for all of your help. I was worried about my job, too...how can I do that? Well, that's now a challenge with my new hours and I'm barely hanging on and I'm able to stand up, stretch, go to the restroom very frequently, salt load, etc. which would not be nearly as easy on a trial.

I also get spells where I have to take a few minutes, have a V8 (it helps me!), etc. to get more clarity. We all know that for desk jobs if you zone out for five minutes, life goes on (I wouldn't be comfortable being a nurse, counselor, etc, with POTS like I have it)...but you can't do that in a trial. Oh, what went on the last 5-10 minutes? Sorry, can you recap it? It's not like re-reading an email or proofreading.

And then there's the you never know when you'll have a flare and need to miss - that's not good for a trial. I can adjust my lunch hour at work, I can't do that on jury.

Hopefully, they'll be understanding. But I thank you for all the tips.

Guest tearose

Write to the judge and explain all the challenges just as stated above...

They do not want to have you get sick or not be able to hear or be present in court for a rest while the trial is going on. You need to be present and strong enough to hear and understand what is being said during the trial.

It may also be helpful if your physician writes a note.