Zoloft

Zoloft did make me feel worse when I tried it with fatigue and nausea. I take Lexapro now and it has helped me tremendously.

Mdcountrygirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I find the whole SSRI thing very interesting and I think it plays a really critical role in my health. I have been on and off Zoloft since 2003 for anxiety/depression. Whenever I tried to get off of Zoloft, things seemed to start to go bad, like my health. So I always went back on it. When I really got sick with this POTS stuff, I had been off of Zoloft for about 8 weeks. I really think if I have had dysautonomia symptoms since 2003, then this has kept things at bay. While I do not like having to take it, I have come to accept that it helps me...and so what! Whatever I need to get on with my life.

I too, have had problems with zoloft, it not only increased my anxiety /depression but it also increased my dysautonomia symptoms. I did go back and talk with my doc about this and he told me that each of the SSRI drugs work a little differently by working on different selctive pathways, so over all as a group SSRI's carry many of the same side effects but because each one is slightly different you can have increased or decreased side effects that you may not have on another one. So, maybe this SSRI is not right for you and you should talk with your doc about a different form. For me I was not able to tolerate any of them, but have found great relief in the tricyclic group (elavil), my doc thinks it is because i did not need my seratonin selectively decreased, I just needed my dopamine increased. Appearantly I needed all of my seratonin and just need to up my dopamine to meet the seratonin. Anyway, if you are experiencing problems or increased symptoms with zoloft then you should talk with your doc, I would not wait because you know yourself and if you do not feel right or good on the drug then you should tell your doc before things get too bad. I hope this helps and hope you get to feeling better.

God Bless,

Debra

I tried Zoloft and couldn't tolerate it. I have been on Paxil for about 10 years now, and I'm not sure of the effect it's had on my POTS because I was diagnosed while on Paxil about 5 years ago. I do hear good things about Lexapro, and may try that sometime to see if it helps. I just hate to mess with my of my medications, because when I make changes it always takes me so long to get up to a therapeutic dose, and then I usually feel worse.

Hope whatever choice you make works for you!

Cheers,

Jana

• 1 month later...

I dont really see how an SSRI could result in a worsening of POTS symptoms for any patient. Serotonin does have peripheral vascular effects.

Lexapro made my symptoms unbearable. I had been on it for three years for depression when I developed dysautonomia, and it made my symptoms so bad that three months later I had to quit. My doctor put me back on it a year later- again for depression- and it made me tremble, made me nauseous, gave me muscle cramps/twitches, made my fainting problems go from under control to pre-syncope or actual fainting at least 10 times a day, among other problems. I've heard that it can make things worse before making things better, but I was on it for 3 months and things only were continuing downhill. Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but at least Lexapro didn't work for me at all. Not everyone reacts to medications the same way.

For the record, and to stay on topic, I'm now taking Zoloft -yet again, for depression (and anxiety)- and I haven't noticed a difference in my dysautonomia symptoms.