EDS and GI issues

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

I found this article in one on my chiari posts---as many who have chiari also have EDS and POTS. I highlighted in Red the section on small intestine because I have a diverticuli about the size of a quarter right at that very junction.

small

intestine is usually studded with diverticula located on the

mesentric border of

the duodenum and jejunum, measuring 1-3 cm (23, 24). Perforations

can occur

through diverticula as well as macroscopically normal bowel.

Perforations have

been managed with resection and performing end-to-end anastomoses

(25). It is

interesting to note that end-to-end anastomoses have been achieved

without

complication in the small bowel whereas similar surgery in the colon

frequently

leads to breakdown, suggesting that small bowel may be less prone to

complication. The loss of strength of connective tissue may

interfere with the

ability to wall off infectious processes and therefore increases the

risk of

abcess formation leading to increased morbidity and mortality when

perforations

occur (23). Diverticula, however, are not the only abnormality that

are though

I thought it mught be interesting to some of you.

Take Care,

Julie :0)

Hi Julia:

I have EDS and POTS, but was not aware of all the info on EDS....so many of the things mentioned in the document are things I suffer from...I had no idea there was a connection between those things and EDS

Thanks so much for the info!

kristen

Guest Julia59

Blakwolf---I will find out the address on this site---I received it from my WACMS support group. They did not give a link----just what you see posted.

I will get the link though---i'll ask where they go the information.

nina,----let me know what you GI Doc said--------- :wub:

for those who are interested, I have some PDF files on research reports about EDS and issues that were of intrerest to me. There's a new one I don't have yet regarding tempromandibular joint dislocation and EDS because this has happened to me a number of times and I wanted to give it to my dentist and periodontist.

Email me privately for information. Thanks, Nina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

I e-mailed the person from wacma who posted this article. She said it can't be found on the internet. She said she got it from a list leader of CEDA---and I don't know what "CEDA" is. She told me to copy and paste it---which I already did. :)

Sorry I can't help you further. I will be contacting my son's fiance as she will be a student at MCO soon. She will have access to other unversity Libraries as well.

She will be getting her Masters in nursing and then she will study to be a MidWife after that.

Julia, I can actually get the abstract of the article online without any problems. I may be able to find the full article via my Temple Library resources--they have a few medical full text data bases I'm allowed to use for free since I'm a f/t student. I searched Academic Search Premier, but that's where I just got the full citation and the abstract. I need to log into the medical school resources, which I have to be on campus to do--semester starts next week, so I'll try to get it there.

Guest Julia59

Thank's Nina!

I really appreaciate it! Hopefully my future future daughter in law will be willing to help me also. She will be going into the medical field, but she sitll has a lot to learn about these subjects---Dysautonomia--chiari---ect.