Interesting Advise On Career Changes

pat57

So I work at McDonald's and am earning below poverty wages. There is a self sufficiency county career link agency nearby.

I go in -provide all the papers , attend-I think -3 appointments total. Let me back up.

I ended up at McDonald's because I need a job where I keep moving and I need specific hours because I'm a single

parent of a disabled child. When she is out of school-in 3 years- I could work broader hours.

But you will never guess what her advise was. "You better stay where you are because

someone else would probably fire you as a safety hazard because you collapse at work." She was nice about it and

apologetic, you might say.

Ha Ha, I never saw that coming.

Things are not as bad financially as it sounds. I down sized and have no mortgage.

sigh...........

Thanks for that tidbit Reen.

That is my primary reason for feeling like I can no longer work as a nurse.

There are days when I might be able to make it through but all it takes is one incident and it just wouldn't fly.

I imagine I could lose my job and my license if someone was in crisis and I couldn't go and attend to them because I was in the middle of an episode.

We used to have an extra staff member and I felt covered not that it was okay but if I felt bad and needed to go home or whatever there was a nurse to pull.

They've eliminated that spot now due to budget issues so there is no leeway.

I tried to return to work as a nurse and my cardiologist wouldn't write a return to work note without the risk of syncope included in the note. My employer wouldn't let me come back I guess because it was too high of a workers comp risk if something happened at work. There went that job!!

Brye

I intend to keep my license and just see what happens.

If an opportunity would present itself I would be interested.

I am one of the unlucky ones with weird allergy reactions.

Just a chemical or food odor in the air can set me off so it may limit my ability to work in certain environments.

My wheels are turning though as far as what I might get involved in...it could be just wishful thinking on my part but at this point it keeps me positive to think in the future maybe I will stabilize and be able to work in some capacity.

I was surprised too, Kaybers mom. I said to her, "Isn't that illegal", and she replied , "it can be a safety issue or they will make excuses".

Pa has an "Employment at will law" below is a tidbit. I don't think all jobs are of this sort. But what I was looking at was.

"Pennsylvania recognizes no action for wrongful discharge based upon breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing in an at will employment contract." McDaniel v. American Red Cross, 58 F.Supp.2d 628, 633-634 (W.D.Pa.1999). You learn further that since your stated reason for firing Jones - because of his blue hair - may be described by some as a bad reason or no reason at all, Pennsylvania law supports your actions."

Lieze & Brye,

Have either of you thought of getting your master's? I have mine and I teach for a brick & mortar university. The hours are great but there isn't much flexibility if I'm sick during one of my classes. BUT I am off all summer and during breaks. I do clinical 1 day a week from 6:30-12p for 8 weeks each semester. During the summer I teach for an online university. If I became totally disabled, I could, at the very least, work online. This, however, disqualifies me from disability (I think). Anyway...just options if you still want to work and keep your RN license.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are nursing jobs that are less stressful so that has possibility eventually. Masters, I've considered, I have such horrible memory problems though I'm not sure I could pull it off. I have a hard time even reading a book without having to read some of the sentences over because I forgot what I've read. I also have a hard time remembering to take my own meds, it would be kind of scary to be responsible for someone elses. I'm hoping for some improvement and if/when that happens there are a lot of possibilities!!

Thanks!

Brye

Thanks for the suggestion. There are nursing jobs that are less stressful so that has possibility eventually. Masters, I've considered, I have such horrible memory problems though I'm not sure I could pull it off. I have a hard time even reading a book without having to read some of the sentences over because I forgot what I've read. I also have a hard time remembering to take my own meds, it would be kind of scary to be responsible for someone elses. I'm hoping for some improvement and if/when that happens there are a lot of possibilities!!

Thanks!

Brye

I totally understand about the memory and re-reading sentences. I have always wanted to go back for my doctorate but quit looking when I got sick. I have the same fears as you do about returning to school. Good luck to you!

Thanks!

Brye

Same thing here! What is it about POTS that affects reading? I used to read 3 or 4 books a day and now I can't read a page! I would love to know what specifically causes the reading disability, if you know!