Weird Taste In Mouth

I'll bet I'm the only one, but let's see. My mouth tastes like salt all the time. We're constantly salivating I guess and the saliva that comes through tastes like a constant flow of salt water. When I was on the salt pills it was even worse - but tasted more like the sodium chloride pills, which is slightly different. I know this is very weird... but anyone else? Or any other weird tastes?

Sorry Naomi, you aren't the only one. When I am having a flare, I'll get a metallic taste in my mouth and nothing will taste right, especially sweet things. I am sure it is an electrolyte/mineral/blood thing. I was having multiple blood draws during testing at Vandy and the nurse had to flush the line with saline; he told me that I would have a strange taste in my mouth...and I did! Weird. :)

I am also having this problem, but it's only been happening for 2 days. I had a CT scan with contrast and have had this salty taste ever since. When it's really intense it tastes almost metallic. One of my doctors has heard of this happening before, but has no idea what causes it. I was told if it continues after 72 hours, I'm supposed to contact my regular doc and begin tests to investigate what the problem is.

I have had a blockage in one of my salivary glands once, and when it was unblocked during a procedure, the discharge was extremely salty. It may be that your salivary glands are infected or if you tend to be dehydrated, I think that can be another cause. Might be worth discussing with your doctor.

I often get a metallic taste in my mouth, and it was especially bad last summer when I was very sick. When I got my epipen, under "Typical symptoms of anaphylaxis" they list "Metallic taste or itching in the mouth"; I found that interesting. I also get what I call "itchy teeth" sometimes.

Hi, Naomi,

I don't know if an MRI can image salivary glands, but they can be imaged by CT. How long have you had the metallic taste? If it was within a few hours of the MRI, that could be the cause if you had it with contrast. I read that when researching what's going on with me. It is very rare, though just like with the CT scan.

I am starting to think that mine is an allergic reaction, though. Out of desperation, I took 50 milligrams of Benadryl at bedtime and the past two mornings I woke up without the taste. Both days it did return in the evening, though. I also notice that if I start to get upset, the taste is much stronger. I had ideopathic anaphylaxis as a kid, and often becoming upset would start me off with hives, and eventually the full blown reaction. This taste does not taste the same as when I have had anaphylaxis though.

My CT scan did not go well. I had extreme flushing and a really disorganized heart rhythm that was very fast. I'm used to tachycardia and even bigeminy, but this was much worse. I had tremendous chest pressure and a choking feeling. The tech didn't know what to do (which is funny, because he knew to warn me what might happen). I laid on the table for a few minutes, tried some valsalva maneuvers and eventually my heart rate returned to normal. I was pretty disgusted that all the tech did was stare at me in fear and so I left. The salty/metallic taste started about an hour later. From the little I've been able to find, and from a little information a friend who is a doctor could find, it seems it was a delayed allergic reaction.

I hope you find out what's causing your problem. I know from lots of experience that it gets a little old always being the one with the odd medical symptoms!

Carolyn

I've had POTS since 10/06. One weekend in June of 2008, it was particularly hot (over 100 degrees and we had no A/C). The following week, I developed burning pain in my feet, then a couple nights later in my hands, then a few days later in my face with the metallic taste in my mouth. I've had it ever since, but it's definitely worse in times of stress, heat, dehydration, or anything else that affects my POTS. I've noticed that keeping hydrated is the best treatment. My skin biopsy was negative for small fiber neuropathy, but Mayo said that my symptoms were classic to those of SFN. I am helped by neurontin. Cool, lightly flavored drinks also help the mouth issues.

Wow, Caroline that is so scary what happened to you! I didn't see in your post mention of contrast dye - I'm assuming you had a reaction to that? And what a vulnerable feeling to have an experience like that at (I assume) a radiology center? Ugh. My salty taste has been with me for probably months to years -- it was only recently that I realized ...wait, this isn't normal. So many other things to focus on, just ignored this one. Maybe it is just due to dehydration. I guess I'll try more water, but am also going to mention it to the Dr. (though i am sure this will be a useless conversation). Also, when my head symptoms are really bad, I get a weird taste in my mouth that I can only describe as a bug spray taste. Maybe this is similar to the metallic taste others describe.