Sudden Extreme Weight Gain

Godsgal

I'm scared tonight. Every night I get on the scale and I weight 1 1/2 to 2 pounds more than I did the day before. Something isn't right. I went from being 100 pounds and not able to gain anything to all of a sudden I gained 12 pounds in 3 weeks. Something isn't right here. My stomach is massively bloated and HUGE. Rock hard. I did have "trace pelvic ascites" on my ct scan of my abdomen like 2 months ago. I don't know what's going on....anyone know. And no, I eat health food and I don't pig out. Meat, fruits, and vegetables. My diet is what everyone should eat so I'm very concerned.....

Part of it could possibly be the H2 blocker you're on for mast cell. Over time, it will decrease stomach acid and disrupt your ability to digest foods and nutrients properly - throwing your body into a dybosis state (malabsorbtion). Had it due to other issues - don't want it again. I gained weight and haven't been able to get it off. It's hard to know what to do. One thing to fix something and then that causes another problem.

Hi, I think this is a question for your doctor. Sudden weight gain like that is often due to fluid building up, and given your recent CT scan and swollen belly, fluid in the abdomen might be the cause.

Can you get in to see your regular doctor in the next day or so? If not then going to urgent care or the ER would be sensible so that they can start to figure out what the problem is.

I hope you get some medical answers and can start to feel a bit better soon.

Flop

I used to be a size 8 uk then within 6 months I was a size 14/16 ....for no reason - no meds, no diet change. Now the past two months it has started to go again now I am a size 12.

Maybe it could be your meds - could you not see the doc who deals with you - have a look at the med inserts and check out the side effects :)

Godsgal - So sorry for what you are going through. I hope you get some answers.

Issie - Very interesting; I never knew that. I added Zantac to my meds a few months ago. It seems to have helped me, but my bloating is horrible.....very frustrating.

Issie, that is exactly why I haven't jumped onto the MCAD med regime bandwagon. I already have low vitamin D, occasionally calcium, bloating, etc. I knew if I started all that, I would absorb even less nutrients. So, I never started. I have the flushing, so had wanted to try them.

I wonder what impact that is going to have in the long run without enough stomach acid to break down the nutrients for absorption? Have the doctors even thought that far into using these meds for treatment? As you said, fix one thing just to create another.

I would go to a doctor and get checked to make sure everything is okay-I'm sorry you're scared-I hate that feeling.

What I would add is I've had the same issue with weight loss. What they told me is that in order to get it to stop it takes thousands of calories to get it to stop and turn it around. Once you do that though you will start gaining.

What I have noticed is the same and it felt weird with

bloating and just all in my abdomen-so I thought well I might have to just get used to this...if I want to continue to gain weight and in fact feeling stuffed and abdomen distended gave me comfort at night to go to sleep knowing I had tried my best to eat as much as I could and I started to wonder if I would be able to stop.

The empty feeling that I used to love now made me feel scared and like I was just starving...

The other weird thing and I'm not very far into this is the gain. I don't weigh often but I also get the 1 1/2 pound jumps at a time that make me feel like okay this can't be

right. I jump from 88.5 to 90. Just like that after eating and eating for days and weeks consuming between 1500-2000 calories and not gaining anything and having that not make sense.

So I think what I'm trying to say is if you get checked out and everything is okay then look at how many calories you are eating. It's true that you are eating very healthy but many people who do eat very healthy aren't skinny people they weigh a good normal healthy weight.

I think the 12 pound weight gain maybe isn't as concerning as what you're feeling in your belly.

Let us know what you find out.

My last trip to my doctor she told me to trust my instincts that if something didn't seem right with my body then maybe it wasn't.

godsgal,

Do you have any gastric issues? My weight fluctuates a lot (up and down) but I find my stomach getting hard and bloated like that a lot. I find that something as little as taking a gas-x makes a huge difference. One of the common problems with dysautonomia is gastric problems (ex. nausea, constipation, bloating, diarrhea, etc.)

For me, the rapid weight gain was accompanied by the onset of severe migraines and breast milk production, so I was given an MRI pretty quickly and within a short time they had found the pituitary tumor. However my endocrinologist feels it is a non-functioning tumor and my testing for Cushings was negative apparently.

The OP should call her doctor immediately about all of this. Something is not right. How's your thyroid? Adrenals? Pituitary? I have a crazy slow metabolism, but I have no idea of your history. I can put on 10 pounds in 4 days if I eat junk foods, so for this is not strange, but I know for others it may be...

I agree with Sue and Issie. When I looked into MCAD meds, I don't think it's a good idea to stop the stomach from producing acid. I have NO doubt I could get diagnosed with MCAD right now due to chelation. The meds prescribed seem like it would cause lots of digestive and malabsorption issues long term. I take benedryl/zyrtec when I get really bad hives. It is necessary at times unfortunately. Although I avoid the H2's though because I do not like the idea of stopping my gut from working. UGH!

Sue you will probably find this interesting. The meds for MCAD have anticholinergic properties (blocks acetylcholine!). You fix one thing to then create more issues. That's why I'm just so sick of the bandaids. :(

This website lists a potential list of side effects for anticholinergic drugs. You trade one thing for another as you said.

Issie, that is exactly why I haven't jumped onto the MCAD med regime bandwagon. I already have low vitamin D, occasionally calcium, bloating, etc. I knew if I started all that, I would absorb even less nutrients. So, I never started. I have the flushing, so had wanted to try them.

I wonder what impact that is going to have in the long run without enough stomach acid to break down the nutrients for absorption? Have the doctors even thought that far into using these meds for treatment? As you said, fix one thing just to create another.

It happened to me. I could never gain weight & gained 36% of my body wt in 2 2 wk periods. No explanation. Docs cared more when I was underwt (I'm very small boned & never looked anorexic but tried my whole life to gain wt & ate like crazy). After I had pots abt 2 years I suddenly gained that weight. I hardly think that was possible from "deconditioning" in that time frame. The docs kept telling me I looked better As my blood tests & various other tests were getting worse. That is. I began shoeing signs of malnutrition with the weight gain. I got gastropareses around the same time & lost my appetite. My vitamin d was untraceable leading to parathyroid (not thyroid) problems. This remained a problem until I finally decided to ditch my rx D2 of 100,000 units per week plus calcium 2000 u daily d for d3 from the health food store. It worked. Vit D deficiency can cause obesity. However. I have only lost abt 1/3 of the wt. It's all centrally located & I NEVER had a tummy before. I'm super dehydrated but Also seem to be retaining water. It's called extracellular fluid. My albumin levels r low & that can cause it. I have severe hypovolemia. I also have anemia. I'm on ivs cuz I'm dehydrated! It's a mess. But I recently learned I have celiac disease & gluten sensitivity (both). These cause malabsorption & I actually had this as my first dx as a baby but the docs ditched it years later (long story) but now my tests results prOve it & gluten can be cause of my d & albumin problems. Sp I'm on strict gluten free diet. I recently had the best day ive had in years after a few months ago (before finding out abt the celiac) I was told my pots seemed to be crossing into paf & msa... Bad news. Then I ended up super dehydrated & in the Hosp abt a week on ivs 24/7. I actually lost weight with more fluids. Then, I learned of the celiac which could explain many of my other health problems. So, I guess I'm saying I had to push hard to get answers, & still I'm realky not sure they care abt my wt (although if it happened to them, they sure would). When I tell a doc the oercent wt gainand ask them to cobsider how they would feel suddenly gaining that much wt, they seem to pay more attention yet no one has taken much initiative abt it. You might consider D3 if ur on D2, push to find out why your d is low and get your other vitamins & electrolytes tested along with protein & albumin. You might want io get your cortisol & hornones checked. But all I can say is I've been through it & I know it's upsetting & I'm still trying to help myself. I'm doing exercise as much as my heart can take. My hr gets very high (and seems like I'm doing aerobics all day & should be skinny!). Also, none of my meds are causing it. So, if u wanb pm me, I'll let u know if I ever figure it out. And u can let me know. Fortunstely, I was underwt when it happened so I was looking a bit on the chubby side at my heaviest but I'm looking pretty normal now, though I'd be happier if I lost 12-15 lbs. I don't want to be as thin as I was (although that was better that feeling like I was abt to drop triplets). I empathize! Please let me know if you figure your out. Btw, my cholesterol has becone very high & I don't eat fats cuz they make me sick. Good luck. SOrry to hear ur experiencing this.. Bad enough to be sick with the pots/dysautonomia stuff. Hugs!

Dana, thanks for that link. Reading through the side effects, I already have half of them! I don't know what I am going to do if I eventually find out MCAD is in the picture. Your d**med if you do and d**mned if you don't treat.

Neshema, thanks for writing out your whole story. I'm thinking with your low albumin, you were probably "leaking" fluid into your abdomen, and not able to keep it in your vascular space. That is interesting about celiac. I am going to be scoped again, I believe in August. My new gi is going to get some more biopsies to check once again. I have the really high antibodies to anti-gliadin, but my last biopsies were negative. I can imagine with not being able to absorb nutrients, every system gets affected without the links in their metabolic cycles.

Godsgal,

I hope you have been evaluated already. Your symptoms show something wrong, and the people on this forum are not in a position to do the required testing to figure it out.

This happened to a niece of mine, a young woman, and she was having a kidney problem that needed treatment. But your symptom could be from anything, and it is not normal to gain weight that rapidly.

In any event, get help and let us know how you are doing.

Well, I added some MCAD meds 3-4 weeks ago. That has helped me a lot. At that time I was 100 pounds, and couldn't gain weight at all. Sorry for offering up TMI but I was literally seeing my food come out of me within 5-6 hours or so...exactly how it went in. Very weird. After I started additional singulair and zantac, I started absorbing my food and maybe that is why I gained so much weight over the past few weeks. But my stomach is absolutely HUGE and hard as a rock. Uncomfortable. SO bloated. Yesterday I didn't eat as much or salt my food as much and I lost 4 pounds from the day before. I don't get that. We have rotavirus at our house and everyone has been sick and my 15 month old was admitted due to dehydration so I haven't been to a doc yet. I need to get a GI and endo doc soon though. If I eat any carbs whatsoever, they make me bloated but if I don't eat carbs, I lose tons of weight.

Another weird thing, last night I weighed myself. Then all night long I peed, and peed, and peed. The next morning-- 3 pounds lighter.

Godsgal,

Many prayers to you and your family. The rotavirus is not a fun illness; it went through our house once.

I hope you find a doctor that proves to be helpful for your GI issues.

Kate