Traveling Long Distances?

Nikki

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for traveling long distance. The thing is, I have bad days and good days..I never know how bad I'm going to feel. My main symptom is dizziness/vertigo.

I live in PA, my fiance is from OH. For the past (almost) 4 years of being together, he's done all of the traveling. We were in a long distance relationship for 2 years and since I didn't feel well enough to drive or be in the car for 8 hours, he did the drive once a month so we could spend the weekend together. Now we only live in an hour apart, but he still comes to my house most of the time. Once in awhile when I feel well enough, I'll go to his apartment. His family lives in Ohio, about 6 hours away from here. I don't know why this idea suddenly popped into my head, but I would really like to try and get out there to meet more of the people he wants me to meet and just to see where he grew up. It would be nice. The only problem is, nothing has really changed health-wise with me over the years. Nothing has gotten any better, in fact overall, my symptoms have only gotten worse. I guess I am just in a if you want to do something, you're just going to have to push through it mood right now. I haven't mentioned this to him yet, only because I'd hate for him to be all excited and then me not be able to make it in the long run. :-/ I'm still deciding what to do and if this is even a good idea for me..

I'm okay on back roads, but most of the 6 hours is all interstate. With cars flying by all over the place, it just freaks me out and makes my dizziness worse. Is there anyone who knows of anything that could help this? The 'avoiding' highways route would be 8 and 1/2 hours. I'm debating if that would be worth taking, even if it is longer. Either way, I would plan on us driving half the trip and staying at a hotel, then doing the rest of the drive the next day. Any other traveling tips? :)

What usally helps your symptoms? If anything ever helps, could you doing while travling?

If your problem is the interstate making you dizzy, I would take the extra time and go the back roads...

Other than that, I really don't have any advice. I hate travel :(

The going half way: YOu would know best with your body, personally it wouldn't work for me. I would sleep for days. but we are all so different that it could be the absoulte best thing for you.

Hope I helped at least a little.

-M

I have the exact same problems with driving (or being in the car). Long trips leave me spinning. Here's what I would do: have him do most of the driving... get the bulk of the driving done the first day, say 5 hours. I'd close my eyes a lot, put my feet up and relax as much as possible. Sleep in a hotel that night, with the hopes that a good night's sleep fixes the dizziness, then drive the last hour the next morning. This way, by the time you arrive, you aren't all messed up from being in the car for hours. That would be my strategy. Good luck. :)