Excessive Pupil Dilation

Darlene

I seem to remember that there is a test for "adrenal fatigue" that involves checking whether the pupils constrict and stay constricted in response to bright light. If you Google adrenal fatigue test, I think it should come up.

However, I believe that adrenal fatigue (like so many other things) is a bit of a quagmire. I've heard some docs discount it entirely (surprise!), while others seem to get real improvemnt by "supporting" their adrenals by taking cortisol. (I tried it; inevitably, the cortisol made me feel absolutely horrific any way I tried it.)

I hope you find some answers.

Edit: Sigh - I'm adding this after reading some other posts - obviously there are some adrenal experts on here! I hope I didn't sound too idiotic! :)

Actually my pupils have been weird lately. One stays much bigger then the other and people have noticed it. The doctor has no clue why and neither do I .

also I wanted to mention that I am super sensitive to dilation drops. I stay dilated for 2 day and have sever tachycardia from it.

I just wanted to mention that it happens in the veterinary world as well. An internist I used to work with said that dysautonomia is so hard to diagnose. But it commonly presents with dilated pupils, particularly in cats. Imagine having dys and not even being able to TELL someone how you feel. Not like it matters with most doctors lol :blink:

luliya, now that you mentioned having the eye doctor dilate your pupils dilate with drops, I've always had them dilate while being checked and walk out of the office blinded by the light and definitely need the glasses.

But, two years ago, when I had that done at my eye checkup, I remember leaving and not being blinded by the outdoor light. I remember telling my husband that the drops must not have been very strong. Now that I think on it, I think I am just almost always in that drops-in-the-eye state! I spent the first 45 years of my life NEVER wearing sunglasses, sun never bothered me. And since POTS, they have to go on the minute I get in a vehicle. So sensitive to bright light.

Since the ANS controls this function, it makes sense that we might have problems. If I get up in the middle of the night in the semi-dark and go down to the fridge - open the fridge door, light hits my eyes, then shut the fridge door, back in the semi-dark - my right eye stays blurry for a few minutes. I wondered if my right eye isn't dialating as quickly as the left. So I guess I have the opposite problem? However, I would think this would be picked up on eye exams and no Dr. has ever mentioned anything. I am very light sensitive though as well.

I know people with "adrenal fatigue" and Addison's have talked for years on this issue. As noted, I mention "adrenal fatigue" separately from Addison's because I don't totally buy it, BUT I don't discount it either. I just need to see more research or proof.

But, anyway, apparently low cortisol and/or florinef is related to pupils that waiver also.