Symptoms After Bending Head Over To Wash Hair

I have been having issues with reactions to shampoos (heart rate up, weak, dizzy, bp up, headache). I am currently being tested for MCAD and figured I was reacting to some chemical or additive in the shampoos I have been using. Right now I am down to washing my hair with a bar of Sensitive Skin Dove soap.

Since I've been reacting to shampoos, I've started washing my hair in the sink when I try a new shampoo so that if I react to it, it won't be all over my body. All I have to do is rewash my hair that way, not my whole body.

Today I tried a new "natural" shampoo somenone on here suggested which is just baking soda mixed in water. I also used a vinegar/water rinse. I seriously doubt that the baking soda would have made me feel bad, but after washing my hair in the sink, I stared to feel weird- weak, dizzy, a little nauseated. Now I'm wondering if the actions of bending over could have caused these bad feelings. If so, how long would they last? I have pretty frequent headaches and pain in my neck where my head joins onto it on the left side.

My mom used to rinse my hair with vinegar/water when I was a kid to get rid of build up. The smell of that always made me very dizzy and nauseous.

Have you tried any phospate/sulfate free shampoos? They are typically quite natural and have little reaction as far as allergies. I use a phosphate/sulfate free poo but only because it helps with the care of curly, frizzy hair :-)

Do you have any spine abnormalities? I ask this because I have very mild scoliosis where my neck hits my shoulders. I have always compensated for it so my neck is naturally strained. That being said, bending forward and/or hanging my head for any length of time causes me great distress. It is usually even uncomfortable for me to have my hair washed at the Salon (and again distressing). I experience the types of symptoms that you speak of; however, I always attributed it to a level of discomfort and pain.

Best,

Elizabeth

I am the opposite and am affected when I look up/ head is tilted up. But I might note that I also have trouble with dizziness etc at the salon. I am still on the road to figuring everything out as well.

Speaking of salons, I quit having my hair washed at the salon years ago because it was WAY uncomfortable to lean my head back. I found out I have cervical stenosis, so I imagine leaning my head back was probably a big no-no anyway!

Lizababy,

I bought a special hypo-allergenic shampoo called free & clear that's free of fragrance, dyes, parabens, & formaldehyde. It doesn't say anything about phosphates or sulphates. What kind of shampoo do you use? I do have mild scoliosis. I never knew until my chiropractor x-rayed me and told me so.

Jenny

Kayjay said it best. It is a positional thing for many. Raising your arms over your head and bending over are both on the list of things to avoid. Additionally, are you standing at the sink while bending over?

Try lemon juice instead of vinegar as the rinse. I would not think baking soda or lemon juice would cause a reaction on the rest of your body in the shower.

Jenny,

I use DevaCurl no-Poo and One Condition. While these are both organic and natural, they do have a fragrance (and are intended for the curly girl). Deva does have a line called DevaCare that is not solely for curly hair but also marketed towards chemically treated hair.

Best,

Elizabeth

• 7 years later...

it may be a build up in your pipes, try squeezing a little lemon down the drains you use. I myself feel dizzy and nauseated at times when I lean over my sink, I put in lemon and it helps until the build up is back so if it works is try doing it once a week.