getting tired, REALLY FAST

blackwolf

This has been happening since just before Thanksgiving. I'll be doing something and wham! I have to lay down NOW. It isn't just the normal stuff of getting tired and needing to rest once in a while. I'll be doing something, like the other day I was sitting there playing some games with the kids. Then out of know where, I started feeling very sleepy, REALLY sleepy. I desided to lay down and rest for a few minutes, I feel asleep instantly, which NEVER happens, and my hubby said he tried to wake me up after the usual 30 minutes, but all I did was moan and groan. I woke up 7 hours later, feeling still tired up better. This has happened about 15 times since Thanksgiving. I might do it 1 hour after waking up in the morning, after, for me, good nights sleep, or as late as 6:00 or 7:00 at night. Any ideas, suggestions, anyone else have this trouble?

Since starting the cymbalta was after this started and I have been sleeping better on it, I don't think it is the cause. I rarely, if ever take a nap so this is also odd in that since, too.

Thanks for listening(reading)!

Blackwolf

blackwolf,

i am sorry this is happening. i do not have any tips...sorry.

i do not fall asleep instantly like that or have trouble being awakened, but the fatigue can hit me super-fast. i tend to push it and then BAM it hits me and i just go white and have to lie down.

sounds like you need to check in with the doc on this one?

emily

Blackwolf sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Here's a thought....and only a thought...but could your bp be dropping??? Occasionally that instant feeling of fatigue hits me or when I wake and just can't get up and go back to bed over and over...I have checked bp and it is generally very low...too low. I don't know the med you are referring to but since this started before the new med, seems like it might be from a different cause.

Ernie-had the same talk with my doc, I will be stopping for 2 weeks starting tonite, but since it started before I started taking the cymbalta, he doesn't think it is related.

Geneva-I guess a drop in bp never really occured to be, usually it goes so fast that I black out, I'll start checking it to see what it does, I'll let you all know.

Everyone else, thank you all, I'm not sure how to really handle this one.

I was never one to go to sleep very fast, sometimes I just lay there for an hour or more before going to sleep. And that is how it happens almost all of the time. I literaly have 10 to 15 minutes before I'm out cold with this suddenly sleepy feeling, it is a little scarey but it doesn't seem to hurt me any. I have noticed some palps about the same time, but I have those so often,...?

Thanks,

Blackwolf

ps- I'm off to try to get some sleep, after some homemade chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. YUMMM!!!

I get that same feeling. Many times for me it's a huge crash in blood sugar. My goodness - if I ate that yummy ice cream, I'd be on the floor, unable to move, within about 30 minutes of eating it! Perhaps if you cut out all sugar (giving a couple of weeks for your body to adjust), you will see a big difference.

But there are other times when I know I've not eaten anything "wrong" when I'll get that immediate and profound fatigue/sleepiness. Who knows . . .

Hope you slept well last night!

Hi Blackwolf,

I have this same problem. It doesn't matter wht I'm doing, there are moments that I just fall asleep and I can't so anything to stop it. I've had it playing a boardgame with my children, computering, no matter what. I don't sleep for so many hours, usually for 20 minutes and then wake up, sometimes falling asleep directly after that for another 20 minutes but than I'm back!! When I was on mehtylfenidaat (I don't know whether you know this, it's a med used with ADHD which I don't have) it was much better and I didn't fall asleep anymore. When I started mestinon I didn't fall asleep either but since I'm using this for some time now, I start falling asleep during the day again. I'm going to talk to my neurologist about it. Good luck,

Corina

Guest tearose

wow, I thought this was one of my singular funkities! I can sit and in moments be out like a light! I just thought it was from either over doing or something I ate.

I'll have to ponder more on this... tearose

I go in cycles with this problem and it started many years before I was diagnosed with POTS. I was out in the car with my kids one day and was suddenly unable to stay awake. I had to pull over to the side of the road and get out of the car to pace then back in the car with the window rolled down and heat off until we were home. I have never taken my kids on a long distance trip again without another driver in the car. Thank goodness 3 of my kids have their license to drive now.

Anyway, I've been back in that sudden sleep cycle again and even when I wake up many times I have to lay back down and just sleep. I know I over did it this week because I got called in for an extra day at work and it was the opposite my normal shift. I also get suddenly tired at work sometimes, most of my co-workers are good about letting me go take my lunch nap, some of my co-workers are jerks about it.

Hang in there it will pass. Sometimes it passes in a matter of days and other times it takes longer but it again one of those phases.

Have you tried eating some protein? For a while, I'd get symptoms of hypoglycemia and would need to eat protein immediately. It would take a few minutes to help (after I ate), but then I'd perk up.

Drinking Smart Water, made by Glaceau, has also helped me in the past. Unlike Gatorade, it does not have any sugar. It does, however, have electrolytes to boost your energy. I buy mine at Pick N Save.

Also, have you tried taking a 50mg Vitamin B6 tablet? Those help me perk up as well.

;)

Thanks all!

Sorry it took so long to reply,but my cousin is in Tialand where the flooding was and we were trying to get ahold of her. She is ok. Her mother, my aunt, is in critical condition here in the states, she has cancer and has developed a chronic staph infection and now a bowel blockage with some other kind of infection, they have been kind of bad about giving us exact answers. My cousin has been unable to get home with the changes about who flys out when, she is working with the red cross to try to get home. :)

Opus-I am on a low(natural sugars already in the food, like fruits)/no sugar diet already, my ice cream is made with splenda and cocoa powder, the peanut butter is just ground up peanuts, no addatives. And yes, I slept better the last few nights.

Corina-I'm trying to get on the mestinon, but my cardio doc is being difficult. :P

Tearose, Briarrose-Thanks for letting me know I'm not the odd one out. BR- I also used to take naps on my lunch break when I was a nurses aid. I worked nites and had two other parttime jobs, as well as the farm, I thought I was just tired, now I'm not so sure. It started just a little while before I got sick.

Kristin-I'm on a low carb diet, one of the first and last things I eat every day is some protien. I eat several small meals throughout the day. I also use an elecrolyte drink without sugar. I also use extra vit b(all) at 150% of daily reconmended dose, as well as a magn. tablet with zinc. But those are perfect suggestions, Thankyou. :(

Again, thank you all and I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Blackwolf

Have you had your blood sugar checked recently? I find this happens to me when I haven't eaten enough, I think my BP is dropping. I don't know much about blood sugar, but the low/no sugar diet may affect things.

For some reason, it also happens to me when my BP starts to creep too high.

Just theories - I know you've gotten a lot of other theories already! :)

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon,

Rita