Swelling And Pain In My Veins

We jumped from winter to summer weather here almost overnight. The heat and humidity have me feeling totally miserable — not good. I'm trying to keep hydrated with Powerade Zero and salt loading. The veins on the back of my hands and on top of my feet get very prominent; my fingers and hands swell and ache like crazy when it gets hot and humid outside. The pain in my veins is unbearable when I accidently whack the back of my hands or drop something on the tops of my feet. Can this have anything to do with dysautonomia, or is it just quirky old me?

The exact same thing happens to me. I'll have it all through my legs/feets/hands when I'm walking around after a shower too, especially if I go a little too hot with the water or if the midodrine is wearing off.

I assume it has to do with POTS, with the veins not tightening and being stretched by too much blood. Makes me wonder if one day they're just going to pop. unsure.gif

I am having the same exact thing, also. I had it slightly last summer, but this spring it started back really strong--especially on the humid days, I can even feel it in my house. That is what I was mentioning in another post, that I have hyperPOTS, but with this happening, it is like equalizing my b/p out.

I don't like it at all. My hands get so hot and red, and sometimes purple. Well, my feet too. It happens sitting or upright.

I was wondering about midodrine. My b/p is very normal sitting, around 110/70. This new bad pooling feels like I need something like midodrine to constrict things back up.

Does anyone know how much midodrine ups your b/p, on average?

It happens to me too. I wonder if it's worse when things are going on that cause mast cell degranulation/vascular dilation due to mediator release (for me this would be things like heat, showering, stress, etc.). I do better now with midodrine and the MCAD meds, but the real test will be when it warms up and gets humid here too.

I go from 95/65 before midodrine to about 115/75. Sometimes a little higher. That's with 7.5mg of midodrine.

Midodrine helps a lot with the pain and is definitely worth it. I find it's not as effective with stopping my skin from turning blue.

I hate the pooling, almost more than any of the other symptoms...I was interviewing for a job today and I wore sandals, totally wasn't thinking. Midway through, I noticed my feet were purple. I spent the rest of our conversation just trying to keep my feet as far under my chair as I could, praying no one would notice. It's so frustrating.

I had to check out for a while, but it is very reassuring to read I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm miserable today, but in the opposite way. Temps dipped down in the low 50s with high winds and now my veins are hiding from me. My hands, feet, rear end, toes and nose are freezing cold and numb. I find it hard to move or hold on to things and have sensory loss when I get this cold, but it's especially bad right after a rapid and large change in temps. It sure is nice to be able to connect the dots.

Libby, I'm sorry you had to hide your feet during your interview. You try to make a good impression and your feet won't let you. Ugh! If it's any consolation I'm a chalky death-like white today from the cold. We sure can't win, can we?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem...just wish I knew how to address it. I was following the SSRI/SNRI's posts recently...I'm thinking about adding one to my regimen...as there is a chance it might help with this problem.

Also, I can force the veins to "constrict" by applying cold to my hands...here's a pic of the same hand AFTER applying a cold compress...you can see how the veins are noticeably smaller:

photo_cold.jpg

Wow I didn't know how many people have this too! This was one of my first symptoms and was freaking me out. My legs would be burning when I was walking around, and a few days later I started getting extra veins showing. I think these are vericose veins, and I think it happened because the blood needed somewhere else to go.

The start of this summer hurts my veins a lot to. I wrap my feet and legs up with medical gause that has velcro on it. It's way easier to take on and put off than those stockings.

My veins do the same thing. I have noticed it is more worse in the morning and at night as soon as I get tired. My legs will start burning and my hands will start to tingle or go numb if I stand too long in one place, but as soon as I start moving a little or elevate my arms it goes away. The veins between my ear and temple even swell when I am laying flat. My first doctor told me that I was drinking too much water.. lol. My well-educated-in-POTS cardiologist told me that because the parasympathetic and sympathetic are all outta whack, vein constriction and dilation are over exaggerated. That's why when it hot or humid and the shower causes the veins to dilate and swell with blood. And when it is colder, our veins can over constrict causing our hands and feet to be cold or colder than usual. Her is my arm at 1am and I am very tired and it's warm in the house.

veins%20%28640x384%29.jpg

--Ryan

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any new thoughts or solutions for the vein issues? My veins seem to only be forearms and hands. The veins burn and fill up and pop out a nice blue. I look ridiculous with my arms over my head but it seems reasonable that I need to get that blood back to the trunk for good use in other areas such as my brain. I'm really trying not to complain these days as my HR and BP are stabile most days. I just was wondering if anyone has updated info on why this happens or what might help. Another question could be ~ is it dangerous?? It happened during my rheumy visit last Friday and she seemed frightened (not going back). Told me I'm not one of her diseases, dysautonomias are tricky and good luck finding what works. Usually, it's the forum. So thanks to any and all who have any input.

Me too!!! I can raise my hands above my head and it quickly retreats. It looks terrible. It happens even lying down if I get hot....which I do when waking up in the night or rolling over in bed can cause extremem heat. Mine does not seem to be painful yet..just unsightly and a bit scary. One doctor said it is because I have lost so much weight...fat in my hands to hold in the blood vessels. He said to do hand/arm exercises. Since I am right handed and do everything...lifting , holding etc... with that hand and that hand is the worst, I know this is not accurate. Sigh.

Guest mattgreen

Huge thick knotted veins when I stand. Feet, calves, thigh (painful), hands, forearms. Worse with heat and humidity. I don't sweat which may contribute (from wikipedia):

Superficial veins are important physiologically for cooling of the body. When the body is too hot the body shunts blood from the deep veins to the superficial veins, to facilitate heat transfer to the surroundings.

And I have very low resting blood pressure.