Different Arms - Different Bp's?

Hi all

I know arms do have different BP's but recently I have noticed that my arms have very different readings...ie left will be 139/76 and right will be 90/68.

It is not a constant reading but it is daily. I have had pins and needles in my left arm with lots of pain for which I am going for an MRI this week so could it be related to that ??

Another thing is that my BP is always on the low side and lately I have been getting high readings like 124/98, 141/92 when I am usually low to low normal. I also get soem really low readings. So I really go across the scale with my BP's - is this all due to POTS/dysautonomia?

Answers appreciated ;)

Have you ever been evaluated for Subclavian Steal or Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

Glad you are getting the MRI :). Hopefully this will shed some light on things!

Hi Rissy,

thanks for the reply. I have looked at thoracic outlet re the numbness of my hand (and wrist) but not the subclavian one. I thought the BP difference could be POTS related. I will check them out. Tomorrow I will have the MRI, will the MRI show any of these things. I have had numbeness of my hand for nearly 8 weeks now - it comes and goes daily. ;) Thanks again.

I do not think that the BP difference is POTS related--your blood pressure should be roughly the same in each arm unless there is an obstruction or loss of blood flow. Have you checked your pulses in each wrist?

An MRA (to see your blood vessels) would be the best thing for you to get. A lot of doctors order one along with an MRI so you may be getting one and not even know it :). If they inject gadolinium then you are most likely getting an MRA (although they do sometimes use it in MRIs).

Hope they figure it out soon!

BPs being highly variable (all over the place- high, low and in-between) is POTS related, according to my neuro at Mayo. But BPs are usually pretty similar from one arm to the other unless there is a problem, like a prior stroke or something like Rissy2D mentioned.