Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
POTSdad

Severe Pots Symptoms Due To Pre-Surgery Fast

My daughter went for an exploratory laparoscopy (for pelvic pain) a few days ago. She had to go for 16 hours without food or water to prepare for the surgery, before we found out that the surgery was cancelled (another emergency took precedence). Her POTS symptoms became very severe during the long wait, probably due to fasting from food and water. My daughter did take her regular Florinef dose (0.05 mg) a few hours before the surgery, but that was not enough to control the POTS.

After the aborted laparoscopy, it took a few days to recover from the severe POTS symptoms. We had not seen this severity of POTS symptoms in a long time.

We now have the laparoscopy rescheduled and we want to avoid triggering the severe POTS symptoms again due to the pre-surgical food and water fast. I thought of asking the hospital to start a saline IV drip a few hours prior to the surgery. Also we thought we would have her resting on a bed for a few hours prior to the surgery, instead of sitting upright.

Has anyone had experience with this, or have other ideas?

Oh yeah! Very familiar. My daughter has severe pots symptoms for 2 years, during that time she had several procedures. Since all surgeries require fasting, she had a hard time recovering every time.

IV saline would certainly help. I would be concerned about not being upright beforehand because then she would just have that to recover from to. Ana was unable to be upright for almost a full year, it was hard!!

We only schedule procedures early in the morning, that way, since my pots daughter sleeps 12 hours a night, it was much easier! We were lucky enough to convince the hospital that due to her special circumstances, she needed to have priority.

Good luck

Cathy

I second Cathy's suggestions- IV fluid beforehand- even if she has to spend the night in the hospital- AND she needs to be the 1st procedure of the day. (My son's doctor's even made him get extra IV fluid when he had his wisdom teeth extracted). Her reaction to their prep illustrates the care that must be taken.

All the Best-

Julie

I'm having a procedure this Wednesday and reading this is making me worried. I mentioned to the anesthsiologist getting IV fluids but don't think they have it planned. I may have to call my neuro tomorrow and get him to fax them a request asap. I am already planning that it will take me several days to recover from what is a pretty simple outpatient surgery - but it's certainly important to plan ahead! Will be making a call in the morning!!