http://wholisticresponse.com/index.php?p=page&type=article&name=motherwort

As widely published herbal botanist James Duke points out, “With a name like cardiaca, this herb might be expected to help heart problems, and science confirms that it does. Chinese studies show that it slows a rapid heartbeat, generally improving cardiac activity. It also helps tranquilize the nervous system, reducing the anxiety, nervous tension and stress that may accompany or trigger heart problems.”

http://www.houseofnutrition.com/motherwort.html

Some peoples experiences:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Herbs/motherwort.html

Keep in mind that this could lower your blood pressure. But, so can beta blockers. This acts like a beta blocker. In one of the above links they are combining it with Hawthorne - which acts like a calcium channel blocker. So, that would also lower blood pressure. So, that is one thing to keep in mind. Hawthorne also dilates the blood vessels and it may be too much for us POTsies (it was for me).

Issie

• 6 years later...

Hi @issie you mentioned motherwort on my thread about my flare up, do you take this at a particular time of day or just when a surge happens?  Do you only take it in combination with lemonbalm or by itself?  How much do you take?

I take it when I have  that really bad hyper feeling.  I don't take them together, usually.  But have.  The lemon balm seems to help sleep.  And black strap molasses seems to help too.  

Thanks @issie.  What dose do you take? Or how did you work out the best dose for you?

The really hyper spells for me are bad but rare so something to take the edge off them would be fantastic. I'd rather have something to take as and when, rather than being on medication all the time that might cause side effects or withdrawal if stopped/changed later.

I have liquid and put a dropper full in water and drink.  See what your bottle suggest.

I'm like you....don't want to be on something all the time.  Or have long lasting side affects.  

I would like to add that it is very important to check with your doctor or pharmacist before introducing any herbs or supplements IF YOU ARE ON MEDICATIONS FOR DYSAUTONOMIA. Many supplements are known to interact with certain medications - which is especially important to us, since we are often highly medication sensitive. I get some herbal supplemets from my chiropractor and she has the supplement company she works for research if the particular supplement can be taken with my medications and - more importantly - with dysautonomia in general. Some supplements I cannot take. And once a supplement is recommended by them I check with my pharmacist, who reviews all of my meds and lets me know if there are any potential interactions. For example I cannot take Hawthorne and Black Kohosh due to my diagnosis of HPOTS and interactions with my medicines. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I would like to add that it is very important to check with your doctor or pharmacist before introducing any herbs or supplements IF YOU ARE ON MEDICATIONS FOR DYSAUTONOMIA. Many supplements are known to interact with certain medications - which is especially important to us, since we are often highly medication sensitive. I get some herbal supplemets from my chiropractor and she has the supplement company she works for research if the particular supplement can be taken with my medications and - more importantly - with dysautonomia in general. Some supplements I cannot take. And once a supplement is recommended by them I check with my pharmacist, who reviews all of my meds and lets me know if there are any potential interactions. For example I cannot take Hawthorne and Black Kohosh due to my diagnosis of HPOTS and interactions with my medicines. 

Good advice.  And what may work for one, may not work for another.  We need to know what the properties are and what they are for.  And then pay really close attention to what your body tells you with something.