Motherwort

From the Chinese Materia Medica:

Yi Mu Cao:

-invigorate blood, regulate menses Lochioschesis (discharge post delivery)

-induce urination, reduce swelling – xue lin syndrome-edema

Also Used For:

Orally, motherwort is used for cardiac symptoms of neurosis, cardiac insufficiency, fast heart rate or other arrhythmias, and hyperthyroidism.

I have been on many herbs, in combination. These herbs DO work, I have made more improvement in the last 6 months than I have in the last three years on Western drugs, but they are not harmless! They also work better in combination with other herbs than alone. In Chinese Medicine, the fewer the herbs in a formula, the more potent the formula and the greater potential for overdose and side effects (formulas with fewer herbs are for the most severe conditions.) When I started, my formula contained 4 herbs, and I was expected to check in three times a week to report symptoms. It is all about balance, if you use one herb it can work well...until it shifts your internal balance, then it won't work any more (like licorice.) The combinations target the action of the herbs, protect against toxicity, and control the desired properties.

Find an old Traditional Chinese Herbalist and go see them. Ethnobotany/ethnopharmacology is the wave of the future for Western Medicine...it has 2000 years of recorded history behind it.

BTW, I have never been on this one. Because it is considered bitter and cool, it would trash my system within a day or two. (Unfortunately, I know this one from experience from other bitter/cool herbs.)

How do you find out what catagory the herbs are in as far as hot/cold/bitter etc. Do you have a book that tells you these things? What if you try to figure it out on your own with TCM help. I have one book on TCM, I'll have to pull it out and re-read it. I have to really be careful with herbs because I do find them to be too stimulating for me. Recently tried Ashwaganda and it sent me into overdrive. It did the opposite of what it was supposed to do. I then read to cut it down, considerably and take smaller amounts until your system gets adjusted. I could take it if I cut it down to 1/4 pill. Still not sure if it's the right thing for me though.

"How do you find out what catagory the herbs are in as far as hot/cold/bitter etc. Do you have a book that tells you these things?"

It is in the Chinese Materia Medica. I would not even attempt to diagnose or dose myself. There are too many variables, and Chinese medicine is just as complex as Western medicine! Unless you are adept at reading pulses (there are at least six,) and tongues and symptoms...I wouldn't try it. I go to an Oriental Medicine practitioner regularly. He prescribes the herbs and dosages. Honestly, trying to figure it out yourself is like going to a pharmacy and "trying" a pill because you like what it says on the bottle. Herbs, especially the Chinese herbals, ARE medicine! They work, they are natural...and they can harm you just as easily as any chemical. I'd find a good Chinese medicine doc/herbalist and get their opinion. My GP is NOT happy that I am doing this, there are many herb/drug interactions, but I am being careful and he knows it, so he is accepting.

Rama

I used to use motherwort frequently as a new mother for ease of anxiety. It has helped subsequently now that I know they are adrenal surges. I used a couple drops of the tincture in a glass of water.

As info for others, this is a safe herb to use while breastfeeding.

Thanks for posting this as I ran out a while back and was unable to find a source that delivers. Then, as happens more to us than the norm, I forgot.

There have been a few conversations on the forum about it but I had no luck trying to paste in my search results.

tks again,

noreen

• 1 year later...

not yet because my bp is usually low and ive heard it can lower it more. im curious though. on tcm herbs right now and i can secod the cool herbs trashing your system. i was on cool/bitter herbs for a while and it seemed to be working wonders then as mentioned above also, as your sytem changes they can no longer work/work in ways you would not like them to.. im over cooling right now! oy the SOB-shortness of breath... I think i read somewhere that a person in this forum has found great success with it... maybe they will chime in...

ha ha, good timing issie!

Ha! Yes ---it was! I agree with you on the herbals. You have to rotate on and off and take breaks or there can be issues. It is best to either take weekend breaks or take for a few months and take weeks of breaks in between. There are many different ways to rotate and cycle them. You have to trial different techniques to see which works best for you.

Issie

From the Chinese Materia Medica:

Find an old Traditional Chinese Herbalist and go see them. Ethnobotany/ethnopharmacology is the wave of the future for Western Medicine...it has 2000 years of recorded history behind it.

So true!!!!

cant figure out the multi quote thing...

Quoted from Issie:

Ha! Yes ---it was! I agree with you on the herbals. You have to rotate on and off and take breaks or there can be issues. It is best to either take weekend breaks or take for a few months and take weeks of breaks in between. There are many different ways to rotate and cylce them. You have to trial different techniques to see which works best for you.

Issie

So True too!!

I think in the AM im switching back to an extra bag i had from a couple weeks ago to see if i can warm up again. Id take a break but we are trying to get a baseline first. so, soon, hopefully...

sorry to hijack the post!

Yeah, herbology is interesting --especially Chinese technique of herbology. I've learned a little about it - but, it is so complex that I never went so deep into it all to learn everything about it. There is a lot to do with the different humors of a person and hot/cold etc. Then there is looking at physical signs in the eyes, tongue, pulse, etc. So, much to it. If I were going to get into Chinese herbals very deep ---for sure I'd want an expert in that field (or, I'd need to go back into more study - myself). :)

Issie

ill pm you about the tcm herbs...

about the motherwort and the OP, its recommended for adrenaline surges... what if the surges are near constant when vertical... do you take it daily?

oh thank you! i was looking for my molasses the other day and then completely forgot about it! ug, super brain fog lately. makes sense too, same reason coconut water works wonders sometimes(for me anyway). if my next herb adjustment doesnt help, I may have to try some motherwort ..if i warm up.

• 9 months later...