Vitamin D Deficiency?

Tuesday

I couldn't search for "vitamin D" since it's not at least three letters, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this?

I went in a week ago to get my thyroid checked again and they told me my vitamin D was extremely low. I'm getting a prescription for a weekly supplement, but they weren't able to tell me a cause. I live in Florida, get plenty of sunlight, eat lots of fish and eggs, so I don't think diet or sun exposure is the problem.

I have posted this several times on other sites as well and it was quite eye opening to see how many of us are Vitamin D deficient. I also have low Blood Calcium and low Magnesium. But my Vitamin D is lowest?? Now how did that come about? I too am on supplements. I have asked about 20 times...do you think this could be part of the problem? Do you think it is all inner-connected. Usually I get a blank stare in return.

BUT at least the Meds are helping ;)

Mine was pretty low. 3 or 5, something like that.

It's crazy how overlooked this deficiency is. I took a course on vitamin D and cancer in grad school, and even they (the MDs who taught it) were adamant that your body only needs 30 minutes of sunlight a day to make adequate levels. Maybe they should, um, actually test a few of their patients...

I was Vitamin D deficient also but am since resolved after a year of treatment. It didn't really jump up until I took the jumbo weekly dose (50,000U once a week for 8 weeks). Many of you should note that if you wear sunscreen, the sunlight exposure is pointless. Our society promotes protection from skin cancer (sun screen) but now we're all Vitamin D deficient! Irony, huh?

I'm deficient too and tried supplements for a while. I am so bad at sticking to things if I don't see improvement in my symptoms early on. When looking into Vit. D deficiency it doesn't match up with any of my symptoms, so I am not sure it has anything to do with this. Of course it can't be a good thing, just not sure what the effects are.

Talking to a neuro at Mayo recently he said that so many people who are tested these days are Vitamin D deficient that he doesn't think there is any connection with our POTS stuff etc.

My vitamin d deficiency was so severe it was untraceable & caused bone density & parathyroid problems for years. I. Was on rx D2, 50,000 units 2 x week plus calcium and D. I did some research & decided to try D3 from the health food store, 5000 units daily plus calcium & magnesium. guess what!?!? It worked. Finally, my D and parathyroid are perfect! You need to buy a really high quality brand. My endocrinologist was very supportive & happy for me. One issue improved!

Neshema, I know you said it helped your endocrine problems, but did you see any improvement in your POTS? I am trying to get my Vitamin D up right now.

I could feel a difference, albeit slight. But at the point in which I started taking it I was at one of my lowest points of being sick. I felt like I had a bit more energy (if you want to call it that) after taking it.

Lots of good videos from the schools in southern Ca about the link btw. cancer and vit d deficiency - especially breast ca - second was prostate ca -- let alone the link with your bones and their health... A year or so ago I watched an entire lecture series from I think USC - it was fascinating the research and queries and conclusions - never knew Vit D was that imp. The problem being the scale we have now is too low - so even if you are normal you are still low -- that's an old scale that had to do with rickets or some such thing - like the vit d needed to prevent that one thing. I think they'd like mine up in the 50 or 60 range - it's been chronically low - started in the teens then went to the twenties now its finally mid 30's I think. I try to pop 5000 units in the morning sometime...i wonder if living in AZ with all the sunshine will be helpful - to me doubtful - but then again maybe it will help - I never wear sunscreen unless absolutely mandatory..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, pretty much eveyone I've known (healthy or not) who has been tested was low. I was very very low. Unfortunately when I try to take the suppliments they make me feel worse :blink: . I have NO idea why.

Anyone else have the same reaction?

Most people in general are low. My hubby is also and he is healthy. I was low also. We take drops from the doctor. It is very important to get tested and then to retest after taking suppleents.

I agree, pretty much eveyone I've known (healthy or not) who has been tested was low. I was very very low. Unfortunately when I try to take the suppliments they make me feel worse :blink: . I have NO idea why.

Anyone else have the same reaction?

Most people in general are low. My hubby is also and he is healthy. I was low also. We take drops from the doctor. It is very important to get tested and then to retest after taking suppleents.

It could be the form that you are taking. Make sure it's the D3 form and see what the fillers are. I can take one that is by NOW - it doesn't have soy oil in it - some of them do and I can't take/use soy anything. Soy can be a big allergy trigger for some.