Let's See How Common Gluten Intolerance Is With The Potsies.

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lgail, yes, I haven't had any positive tests, but I notice that I don't feel sick/POTSy after eating gluten-free muffins or cookies, but I do if I eat regular ones...I'm not sure yet, still experimenting, but it also seems to be easier for me to stand up after a small GF meal than a regular one. So, I am certainly going on a gluten-reduced diet to start.

For those of you who've noticed a difference when you don't eat gluten I am curious if you noticed the difference when you were 100% gluten free or if you just cut out most of it (cereal, bread, pasta, etc). I'm beginning a trial now and I'm wondering how much I should be reading labels and trying to be 100% gluten free to see if I have an intolerance.

Thanks,

Lisa

Back when I was going through GI ****, celiac was usually the first thing every GI doc tried to blame it on and discharge me with instructions not to eat gluten.

So, I did what any true scientist would do -- gluten binge! 2 straight weeks of packing as many gluten-laden foods as I could eat at every meal and my symptoms had mostly subsided. Informed the Dr of this and he was incredulous that I'd try such a stunt and even more angry that I'd challenge his dx. He then wanted to do exploratory surgery... No thanks.

Its been 3 years since I finally figured out my GI issues and treatment on my own and the only GI issues I've had since then have been due to gluttony, not gluten.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be important to clarify what testing everyone had done?

Many doctors only test for Celiac disease and they do NOT test for a gluten intolerance. The anti-tissue transglutaminase is specific for celiac disease, where as anti-gliadin can show a gluten intolerance. Therefore if someone went to their doctor asking to be tested, and the only test that was performed was the anti-tissue transglutaminase test (which is often the case), they can still not be sure that they dont have a gluten intolerance.

For me, my anti-gliadin was off the charts, but my anti-transglutiminase was negative.