Holter Monitor Results

Was looking through some old testing and found mention of Holter Monitor results. It says "sinus rhythm with 19 atrial premature beats and 2 VPC's." I am guessing it's not a big deal since the Cardiologist didn't even mention it to me, but what does it mean? Can these cause the pressure sensation in the chest and the feeling of a HARD (not fast) heartbeat?

Hi Naomi -

I had a holter monitor also but no premature beats just the rapid pulse. I too have the pressure feeling in the chest and have mentioned it to the cardiologist who says it must be something else, not my heart since all heart studies (echo and stress test) have been normal. I would really like to know what that pressure feeling in the chest is also.

Lynne

Hi Naomi,

I to have PVC's and pressure in my chest. My holter monitor also showed sinus tachy and 5 PVC's. I usually get the PVC's when my digestion gets all out of wack or when I have bad indigestion. Sometimes I can get 20 a day and other times they wont happen for weeks. I talked to my cardio about the chest pressure. She mentioned that it could be from pressure differences in the heart chambers. So I did some research and found this:

"The current prevailing theory is that the heart pain associated with POTS is predominately non-ischemic, but further research may alter this perception. It is believed the left sided heart pain so common among POTS sufferers is due to differences in heart chamber pressures, abnormal heart wall motions, and/or nerve damage. It is not related to common angina which is usually caused by blocked arteries cutting off the supply of blood to the heart. While uncomfortable and debilitating, this left sided heart pain is not believed to be immediately life threatening."

Also, the PVC's can be caused by lack of blood in the heart causing hard beats and PVC's:

"With inadequate filling of the heart's left ventricle and abnormal function of the alpha and beta adrenergic systems, it is no wonder that strange and irregular heart beats (palpitations) are a universal symptom of POTS. These are often referred to as ectopic heartbeats, with frequent premature heartbeats the most common aberration reported."

I hope this helps. Here is the link to the page I found. It is a good read.

--Ryan

Ryan-

Thanks for posting that link and for your excerpt - it was extremely helpful in understanding a complaint common to many of us. You will have reduced anxiety for many.

I will have to re-read the article and concentrate on the meditation suggestions

tks again,

noreen