Think Like A Doctor - Ny Times Contest

Noreen

Lisa Sanders, MD, author of "Every Patient Tells a Story" is challenging readers to dx this case.

As I know many of you are more adept than some docs when sorting through these things, I though you might like to play - link to story

10 yr old with hair loss, elevated liver enzymes and elevated CPK.

The correct dx gets an autographed copy of Dr. Sanders book.

That's easy :rolleyes: Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Type 3 or 4

How often are these challenges presented? Kinda fun :D for us weird nerdy types. Thanks for sharing, Reen.

Julie

It ended up being a glycogen storage disease - Pompe Disease.

Over a thousand people submitted answers, so although this was the first one, I think this will come back as a fairly regular feature. That is if Dr. Sanders has the patience to wade through the ridiculous - an unbelievable number of people thought the problem was wearing her hair too tight and never looked at prior responses.

I really didn't know if it was muscular dystrophy or Pompe Disease and logged on this morning to find out.

Oh, that works too- high CPK because the body can't use glucose and is digesting muscle. It would explain the hair loss & high liver enzymes too.

I didn't read all of those responses (did you???) so I can see how so many people repeated the same ideas. A tight ponytail is pretty funny- accounts for the hair loss, but what about the rest...

Intriguing puzzle. Made me feel like I was on "House," but nobody was calling my Crazy Cutthroat :D Please share if it comes up again!

Julie