Our Kids--My 4 Year Old :(

Godsgal

So my 4 year old come May 10th has some symptoms that greatly concern me. Last night, he came into my room with 103.5 temp and I felt his chest. Heart was pounding like mine!!! I took his pulse and it was in the 160's. Called the pediatrician and he said it should only be 120-130 with a fever. Took him to the ER....cardiac monitor showed his HR in the 170's when he was crying. His fever had calmed down after waiting there forever and his HR was still 140's-150's. After 6 hours, he fell asleep and finally his HR was in the normal range. ER doc said to follow up with his doc/cardiologist and prescribed zithromax (which I'm also concerned about causing high hr). I have seen lots of symptoms in him for several years that concerned me but now that I have my diagnosis I'm MUCH more concerned. He wakes up from his nap sometimes completely drenched in sweat, looks delirious, low body temp, and that has happened for several years now most days when he wakes up from his nap. Lately, he has complained that when he is active, like riding his bike, he says he can't do it anymore. I can feel his heart pounding in his chest. He walks on his toes still. Sweats quite a bit in the heat. I know what a pounding heart feels like and it's miserable. Lately I notice him getting this quite a bit.

Please someone help me, encourage me, anything.

I don't want my kids to suffer with this craziness like I have. I cry as I type because the thought kills me.

What thoughts does everyone have for my son?

And has anyone else seen anything in their children?

Oh Gosh, I'd be freaking out too. It's so scary with the little ones. Let's just hope it's some sort of infection that will pass. I have not seen any dysautonomic features with my children (ages 2 and 7) thus far and I hope I never do. Try not to get too upset, definitely check in with a cardiologist and let us know what happens.

Well to me it sounds viral and I agree with the fever causing rapid rate and children get about 8 viruses a year, not trying to down play anything which I know can be very scary.

Does he seem to get tired to easily while playing and has he been active most of his short life. My girls seem to dehydrate pretty quickly while playing and they complain of achy legs and their little hearts pound regularly , I don't know if I'm overly concerned I always worry about if I gave them this condition and watch for possible signs but they stay pretty active unless they have a virus and they have caught I think every one this year!

With the zithromax I have taken it many times its the only antibiotics I take I'm allergic to cillins and haven't had serious problems with it.

I wish your little one to be well soon and your probally informed enough to ask all the right questions when you take him into the cardio, keeping you in my prayers.

Lissy

My 2 & 5yr old are both dx with autonomic dysfunction. My 2yr old has high heart rates (150-170) and low as well. Did they do an EKG while in the hospital with your son?? I ask because we recently saw our cardiologist & she wants me to head to the ER the next time my 2yr old is having one of his tachy episodes to get an EKG so we can capture what his heart is doing at that time. So far he hasn't had another episode- I have no clue what brings them on.

Good luck! It's scary to have your kids dealing with stuff like this.

That is very scary. My 18 month old has high HR also but I try to just remind myself that I am crazy and I worry too much. Hers ran about 160 for the first year and now is between 130-150 depending on activity level. She doesn't seem very affected by it so I am waiting it out before I freak out. One thing that helps me monitor both the 14 yro. with POTS and the little one is a wrist auto cuff. It actually works on the 18 month old when she is sitting in her high chair. It tells BP and HR. It doesn't feel nearly as uncomfortable as the arm cuff when inflated.

Hopefully another comfort to you is that I work on an ambulance and I have seen grown adults with a HR above 140 from a high fever. Children always run higher. Most children that I see with a high fever are well above 120. Their respiratory rate is usually much higher as well as their body attempts to get the fever down. Dehydration -even minor-also causes increased HR so hopefully it is just the fever. I reccommend tracking his HR when he is not sick and taking note of trends.

Good luck and hang in there.

Serena

Godsgal - my 2yr old is the only one to have high heart rates (5yr old only has brady w/ heart pauses) but I actually came across his by accident. We did an event monitor in Dec due to blue episodes and it recorded over 200 episodes within the month some going too low & some going higher. Our EP said that his heart is definitely over reacting to everything but wasn't going to *dangerous* levels and not going low enough YET to need a pacemaker. She mentioned that perhaps his BP was also going wonky & that was what was causing the blue. So I bought a BP machine & have been taking that at home. I just happened to notice one day that I could feel his little heart beating like crazy just by putting my hand on his chest so I hooked him up to our pulse oximeter (yes we have one of those too.. lol. Pulmonary ordered it for us to rule out o2 issues causing the blue episodes b/c he has asthma & sleep apnea) and sure enough crazy high rates for him. He normally runs 80-100 ish. He ran 150-170+ for 2 entire days. No fever. He felt like crap. Would just groan when it got really high. Since then he has had the occasional higher rate.. a few nites that he ran in the 140's. He tends to come lay with me when it gets higher so he must feel something. He doesn't really talk alot -mostly mimic right now so he can't tell me what's wrong or what hurts.