Low Body Temp

Does anyone else suffer from low temperatures? I was doing so much better for the last few months and now, out of the blue, I am chilled just like the old days. I took this reading with two separate thermometers. Until today I had stayed around 97.5 which was not great, but I felt pretty well. Now I'm pale, lightheaded and mentally confused and I'm freezing with lots of clothing on. Brings back BAD memories and I'm scared. BP 120/90 (high for me) and pulse 81. Yikes.

Not sure about this.....but I too have low body temp. When I was in the hospital the last time, my 'low' temp was 95.7. They never said anything about it, but I was freezing. I always run below normal but not that low. I do not understand it either??

I have low body temp too. usually 96.5 is my normal. When you read about low body temp it is usually indicitive of the thyroid function. But, my thyroid levels are always within range. I still think I have thyroid issues though - I've also lost the other part of my eye brows and am losing the hair on my head. All indicaste thyroid issues. But, no doc. seems to think that this is a problem. All the symptoms of it - but numbers don't show it. It's very frustrating. Also, when I have a POTS eposiode - I start feeling cold to the bone and no amount of blankets warm me up. I also seem to have tremors then and get the pallor (Pale face - no blood) at the same time. Has to be connected. Just wish they could figure it out. One doc said I had Wilson's Syndrome. It's where the T4 doesn't convert into the T3 properly. I couldn't do the treatment for it - because it speeds the heart up and I already have tachy. I tried it though and never got my body temp up. It will also slow your metabolism down with such low body temps. Wish I had an answer. But, to answer your question - yes, I have that too.

Last November my son's temp dropped to 93! He was extremely ill, but he complained of being hot? We took him to the emergency room and they put blankets on him to warm him up. He was admitted over night until he stabalized. He has not had that problem since, it completely freaked us out being that low.

Christy

Yes, I've had the cold temp & tremors ER visits too. One time I told them my temp at home and the nurse just said 'that's not even high enough to sustain life!', and yet there I was, live indeed and trying to explain. No one believed me. At the time my temps were dropping into the 93s and 94s at home.

I have been treated for hypothyroidism since May with Armour and I really thought that would help my temp, but it hasn't so much. It has helped in other ways, I have more energy and my hair finally stopped falling out. Issie, did you get a free T3 and free T4? That's the only way to tell, the TSH means nothing if you're not a good converter, which I am not.

My dys forum has the very best friends in the world. Thank you all for your quick responses. I had to get my elderly dog to the vet and when I came home, there you were. Enko, I did drink hot tea before I left and now I still have my big coat on but I am way up to 97.2, woo hoo! :P

I'm always in the 97s too. And always cold. Have just chalked it up to the ans dysfunction but would love to know if it means anything more. It also makes me wonder if we have a different fever temp (if it's 99.5 for normal folks what is it for us?) - which may sound odd, but my doc told me high fevers can be dangerous in POTS (I'm guessing because of our bad thermo regulation).

For what it's worth, my "normal" body temp is around 97.6 or so, and I, too, am always cold. Like many others, I have always chalked it up to dysautonomia...

Sandy

Mine is ALL over the place. One minute it will be around 97 then the next I will have a fever of 101. Most of the time my core is VERY hot and my limbs,feet, and hands are ice cold.

One time when the paramedics were at my house, the guy kept commenting on how hot my torso was, but how cold my feet were. He had all the other paramedics come feel LOL. I think its all apart of dysautonomia because i never had that problem before.

i've been very very cold for years. where everybody was in summerlothes i was in my winterclothes and still extremely cold. took a hot bath twice a day and went into bed straight after that wearing pajama's and morningcoat to stay warm as long as possible.

starting mestinon did the trick for me. i stay warm for as long as the mestinon works and start getting cold again when it wears off. though it doesn't help to cure all of my dysautonomia, being warm again is such a relief!

corina :)

normaly i am one degree lower than the norm. i will have sudden rise and fall back to normal low at times. And because of weird turns of late i had one deegre higher temp. The last to days its being going up and down again.. My gp demised me when i told here that i had a lilte higher temp, since i was whit in, and only a lilte elevaited than what the normal temp is. 37 c.. I had 37.5 c...

From what i can understand a lilte lower or higer temp is very comon, and for people that has it its importan to know, so they can tell when the body temp is really off.. And then hope that the doc actually lisen :rolleyes:

My normal temp is usually in the 97s. I was in the hospital for a 3-day fasting test a year ago, and once, my temp was 95.5 when the aide took it! I remember she took it again, thinking there was an error. At the same time, I was soooo hot! I don't understand that.

I am similar to Dani--my trunk is always so hot that it radiates. You can put your hand near my upper abdomen/lower chest and the heat just flows off of me.

My thyroid is normal also, having lots of thyroid tests throughout the year as I'm on replacement.

You know what's bad about this is alot of our metabolic activities really are supposed to happen around the 98.6F temperature. If we are too far away from that, things like enzymes, etc. don't work. From that perspective, I wonder how much we're missing out on?? And, yeah, like what doctor is going to even think that one through?? :rolleyes:

I went through a 4 month period last year where my temperature ran the same for 6 weeks and then changed to another reading for 6 weeks. It was truly bizarre. It did not change at all during the day no matter what I was doing.

I had one cycle of 96.7 followed by the next 6 weeks at 100.8. No explanation was found but during this time I did sweat at all.

Just chalked up to my weird ANS stuff.

I'LL say they don't get it! I agree that we are feverish at a lower relative temp. And get this--once I was in the ER because of chills and tremors and asked the nurse what my temp was and she wouldn't tell me. She acted like she was hiding something, very weird. That led me to believe that she got a low reading and maybe didn't want to admit that I was right :lol:

I am starting to feel a little better today. Thanks everyone.

Have been reading a lot on Mitochondrial disorders recently. Seems that low body temperatures are a frequent finding for people with mito issues. Since Dr. Grubb just published that article on how many people with dysautonomia issues also have mitochondrial cytopathies, maybe this in another area where there are a lot of overlaps between the two issues.

Temperature regulation is certainly in part controlled by the autonomic system so it makes sense that we have weird temperature controls.

Hi all,

I get the low temp too. I am always so cold - even in the summer I have my electric blanket on at night! I get terrible livedo reticularis too and that will mean I will not warm up for hours despite tons of clothing and heating on!

I get worried for my young son who's temp is regularly 94/95/96 - he really feels the cold too just like me! I hate being cold!

I've got the low body temp - but I feel like my body just goes with whatever extremes the weather is doing. So i'll almost always have a temp in the 97s but I'm freezing all winter and have horrible heat intolerance all summer.

Do the rest of you swing back & forth like this or are you cold all year round?