A Friendly Reminder

Rachel

Hello DINET Forum Members,

The moderators request that you please do not include long or unnecessary quotes when posting a reply to a topic. When topics are filled with too many quotes it can become more difficult for other members to read. The moderators regularly remove excessive quotes from topics, and this has been a difficult job lately because the forum has been so busy and the number of quotes has greatly increased.

From Sunfish's topic, Helpful Hints for Forum Participation:

Posting Replies:

When replying to a post, please use the "Add Reply" at the upper right hand side or bottom right hand side of a topic and NOT the " "reply " icon at the lower right hand portion of each post/reply. This prevents every post from being repeated in quotations with each reply, which can be difficult and tedious for other members to read. We realize that this is a bit confusing and is something we are unable to change as it is part of the host site we use.

If you have any questions or need further help, please ask!

Thank you,

Rachel and the Admin/Moderator team

Rachel, I appreciate you taking the time to post the reminder... for those of you who are newer here, please DO only use the "ADD REPLY" at the very bottom of the page when responding to a post. If you use the "reply" button located in the body of the page, it then quotes the entire post--this is a forum glitch that we cannot change b/c it's part of the software.

Why are the quotes a problem? Well, for one thing, it makes the pages hard to read, especially for those of use who are light sensitive, and/or have limited attention time--it adds to the time needed to get through a topic. And, secondly, it takes up memory space on the the site--for info that already exists as the original post or topic.

Thank you for taking the time to follow Sunfish's instructions on the quirks of the forum and how to navigate. It makes the moderator and administrator workload a little easier (and we're all volunteers, with POTS or related disorders just like you, and have limited energy reserves ourselves).

Nina

Thank you Rachel & Nina & all Mods for all of your hard work!!! I have a question re. this. I ONLY use the quotes feature when I am speaking to someone specifically- other than the original poster. I see that Rachel is "fixing" those instances.

An example: in Mason's Dad's recent post, many members began posting about their views re.dairy, etc. and were NO longer speaking to Mason's Dad. I answered someone's question using a quote so that my statement was directed appropriately to that specific person. Isn't that HOW the quotes were meant to be used?

Thanks for helping me to understand this!

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for asking. If you would like to direct a post to a specific member who didn't start the topic, please use their name at the beginning of the post. That way others will know who the post is written to specifically, and if they want to read the previous poster's question or comments, they can scroll up and read it in the topic.

As Nina said, the quotes are a problem for several reasons. They make posts harder to read for those who are sensitive to light and color changes. It takes longer for members to scroll through topics that have multiple quotes. Large quotes also take up valuable memory space on the site for information that is already in the topic to begin with.

Thanks for working with us on this and helping to make the forum a welcoming and helpful place for all.

Rachel

Firewatcher,

It is okay to change the font colors. Blue, like you mentioned, is usually easy for people to read. Colors that would be hard to read would be ones that are really pale, like yellow. Pale text on a white background is hard on the eyes.

We still wouldn't want large quotes from previous posts to be quoted in blue within the same topic as this would take up unnecessary memory space, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. If I remember correctly from your posts you have used blue text for either short quotes or for articles that have been posted. Sometimes it is appropriate to use quotes in this way, and if you want to change the font color to another color to make it stand out, that is fine.

Rachel