I Believe My Doc Missed A Pots Diagnosis

I had a tilt table in Jan and finally got officially diagnosed with NCS after passing out within three minutes and experiencing asystole for 15 seconds. I did a lot of research and became suspicious that they missed the connection to POTS, started taking my pulse and kept coming up with spikes of 29-30 bpm upon standing. I requested the tilt records and sure enough, I spiked from 80 bpm to 110 bpm before fainting/asystole.

So, safe to say I also have POTS given the 30 bpm spike or am I missing something? Frankly I'd be more satisfied with that diagnosis because it better explains why I have a wide range of symptoms and experience general malaise so often.

By the way, you all will get a kick out of this. I went back to the doctor because I passed out again while on metaprolol, and he refused to change the dosage or make any other change and advised me not to sit or stand for any length of time and to come back in a year. Gee, thanks. Needless to say I have an appt with someone else next week.

I can't say whether that is POTS or not, (as I am about 12 years of education shy of a medical degree! :P ) but I would say based on your records that it deserves a second opinion, at the very least. It seems you have already learned this doctor leaves much wanting. Glad to hear you are following up with someone else. Leaving you unsupervised for a year with a medication that is not working well for you seems completely asinine to me! I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Sandy

It's certainly possible to have both NCS and POTS and you're doc wouldn't be the first one to miss the POTS component. Glad to hear you're looking elsewhere. Good luck!