Migraine Help

I have not been on migraine medications, but im starting to have at least 2 a week. They are the really bad ones where i usually vomit and have diarrhea. I really need to get this under control because they are so bad.

Does anyone take the exedreine migraine? I worry because it has caffeine and i dont know how I would react to it. Also if anyone has tried the prescription ones. Thank you :]

Fellow migraine sufferer here. Sorry to hear you are having so many! I started to get migraines in my late teans and went on prophylactic meds which helped significantly. Went off those meds a few years later and my migraines were few and far between, until lately. I haven't taken any OTC migraine meds because caffeine actually triggers my migraines. I recently started on one of the triptans and it has been a big help. There are also some supplements on the market for prophylactic use you could try, esp if you are leary of meds (my neuro recommended). So, sinus migraine? Are you having sinus issues as well? I hope you find some relief soon.

Sometimes the excedrin migraine helped my headaches but my neuro told me recently that people who get migraines shouldn't take ANY short acting pain meds (aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol, excedrin). Said that people with migraines are too sensitive to the short half-life of these meds and they will trigger more migraines.

I had good luck for several years taking Feverfew (herb) as a prophylactic for migraines, but it stopped helping. Now I take Relpax or Imitrex with an Aleve when I get a migraine. (apparently imitrex has a short half life too.)

Good luck.

My neuro at the Cleveland Clinic told me that my POTS made me prone to vascular migraines, I can get them near daily when I am going through a bad patch. I don't respond to any of the triptans, and like others have said, short-acting meds trigger rebound headaches. I actually use sub-cutaneous injections of DHE (dihydroergotamine) which is a vasoconstrictor. I have also been given caffeine drips in the hospital, but because I the way it makes my tachycardia soar, is not a treatment I use at home.

Sandy

I know this sounds stupid. But where does the migrane start with pots? i have been having migranes for years from the "fake tumor" in my brain. mine starts above the eye then moves to the top right side of my head. They have me on topomax for pressure and migranes. but it really hasnt helped me this time. or the first time i used it. mine use to get so bad i would dunk my head in bucket of ice water. attempting to numb it. LEt me knock on wood. i havnt had them that bad in a few years though.

I get so many migraines each month, I take 2 Topamax daily as a migraine preventive. Even with this preventive medication, I still get over 15 migraines monthly. Because my prescription migraine medication (Relpax) is costly, I do take Excedrin Migraine first to see if it will ease the headache. Sometimes it does help, sometimes not. As for it affecting my heartrate, I can't say that I've notice any adverse effects. Most of the time with my migraines, I'm laying down so I don't notice an increase in my heartrate as much.

As far as my prescription medication, I LOVE RELPAX!! I couldn't live without it and panic anytime I get low in my supply. It generally relieves the pain within 30 minutes and I've only had 3-4 instances that I've had to take 2 or more to get rid of my headache. I HIGHLR RECOMMEND RELPAX!

Good Luck!

Bev

First of all, Excedrin migraine is the same as the other Excedrin. I don't know how they can market it differently when it's the same thing! If I'm getting what feels like a tension headache, I try Excedrin or ibuprofen. Ibuprofen seems to help some people with migraines. I wish it did with me.

Like Bev, I'm getting the same amount of migraines each month. I'm going off birth control asap. Even though my doctors keep telling me I"ll get more headaches, mine have worsened since being on the pill. I've tried numerous preventative pills with just side effects and no relief. So far, the only that really helps is Imitrex

I also get deep tissue massages and I'm trying accupunture. I've only gone 2 times but I'm really hoping it will help my head or my neck and back pain. It's worth a try. I also have my wonderful brother who is a physical therapist and works on me from time to time and gave me exercises. I don't know what I would do without him!

Just one more comment about over the counter medications - people are always so concerned about taking prescription meds but meds like Excedrin and Motrin can be just as damaging if you take them too often. You can get rebound headaches from Excedrin but not from Imitrex. At least that's what my doctor told me.

Hope you find some relief. It's so hard on your body to be in pain.

Brenda

First of all, Excedrin migraine is the same as the other Excedrin. I don't know how they can market it differently when it's the same thing! If I'm getting what feels like a tension headache, I try Excedrin or ibuprofen. Ibuprofen seems to help some people with migraines. I wish it did with me.

Like Bev, I'm getting the same amount of migraines each month. I'm going off birth control asap. Even though my doctors keep telling me I"ll get more headaches, mine have worsened since being on the pill. I've tried numerous preventative pills with just side effects and no relief. So far, the only that really helps is Imitrex

I also get deep tissue massages and I'm trying accupunture. I've only gone 2 times but I'm really hoping it will help my head or my neck and back pain. It's worth a try. I also have my wonderful brother who is a physical therapist and works on me from time to time and gave me exercises. I don't know what I would do without him!

Just one more comment about over the counter medications - people are always so concerned about taking prescription meds but meds like Excedrin and Motrin can be just as damaging if you take them too often. You can get rebound headaches from Excedrin but not from Imitrex. At least that's what my doctor told me.

Hope you find some relief. It's so hard on your body to be in pain.

Brenda

I totally agree with this! Since starting acupuncture six months ago, I have had tremendous relief from my headaches. If you can find an experienced practitioner, they can be miracle workers.

On the OTC meds, I agree as well. Many of these drugs would not pass FDA testing now (not that it really counts for much) and there has been quiet probing done to see how many of the NSAIDs can be pulled from the marketplace due to organ damage from overuse.

For my migraines, Relpax is also the best. I can't imagine life without it now that I have had it. It gives me no side effects, doesn't make me tired, but it kicks the migraine quickly. It didn't help my daughter though, and her migraine medication of choice is Midrin. While neither of these helped my son, he takes Tramadol when he has a migraine. So, what helps one person, might not be so effective in the next.

Christy